Remembrance of Things Past in America

“When Donald J. Trump, who was not a professional politician, was President, America reached its pinnacle as a nation. A nation which allowed its citizens maximum liberty, maximum employment opportunities, maximum energy independence, maximum border security, and the strongest economy in American history.”

All gone. Destroyed by the Biden junta.

2 Likes

Another question:

Can you hate the man and love his policies?

I am not sure why one would hate the man…then again, I fell for all the hateful rhetoric about Trump and would not vote for him the first time. And then he proved to me that he would do what he said he would do, and I changed my mind about his chances as our president. Then I found out that he was not the horrible person that the Never Trumpers portrayed, and I changed my mind about his character. Then I came to accept that he might often be irritating in speech and tweets, but he said what he thought and he said what needed to be said, and I understood that that comes with all the rest of what I liked about Trump. Add in his family, and I was very okay with the whole deal.

And, now he has learned some things about depending upon the usual suspects that survive all presidents, because of deceit and lies. We all have learned about those people.

I am an Only Trumper still.

3 Likes

Hmmm…fascinating:

While it’s commonly known that former President Trump is ahead of his 2024 primary challengers, his large lead in the primary—to the tune of double digits—stems in large part from the fact that he is winning by a landslide among non-white Republicans. Among white Republican voters, Trump is ahead of DeSantis by only one point—38 percent to 37 percent. Yet among voters of color, Trump dominates Desantis, with 55 percent to DeSantis’s 26 percent.

2 Likes

“The spread between the former president and the Florida governor is now 11% in the Morning Consult poll. It’s 41-27% in the Monmouth Poll and 46-32% in the Quinnipiac Poll.”

But no demographic break-down is given.

2 Likes

And DeSantis is digging himself in a hole by taking cheap shots at Trump.
So disappointing - he could have supported Trump, and strengthened the movement and his own popularity for a run in 28 at the same time.

2 Likes

Well, they both should stop. America needs both Trump and DeSantis, and neither should be dissing the other. Argue policies, build themselves up…but, stop insulting each other. Please.

Heavy sigh…

1 Like

They are rivals for the nomination.

Isn’t mutual disparagement traditionally part of the technique of such competition?

Who can forget “low energy Jeb”?

2 Likes

Yes, they’re both doing it, and as infighting always does, it helps no-one except our opponents, and only weakens us.

1 Like

But they shouldn’t be rivals. There’s too much at stake for conservatives to be split between them.

1 Like

Yes, it has been a “tradition” but with Trump it gets too personal, in my opinion. Do it, but keep it from becoming nasty. He does that, and I have cringed each time he does.

Nastiness has been progressing over the decades. And, you know…if they shook hands and pledged support after the primary, and they stood together and worked to save America together as a Grand Old Party, I could look at the prior nastiness as par of the game, and feel better about it, but Republicans lately don’t do that. And the nastiness is often what people remember.

Well…they will do what they are going to do, whether this mom likes it or not, cuz I can’t send them to the corner. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Jeanne, you KNOW that Politics is a dirty game! Always has been, always will be. No point whatsoever in saying “be nice” to politicians. Trump is far more virtuous than most.

He won once, he can win twice, doing it his way.

Actually, if he wins next year, it will be his third victory.

1 Like

I didn’t say to be nice, that is way too much to ask. Don’t make nasty personal attacks. Trump is bad about the nasty personal attacks.

2 Likes

Come on, man - to quote Our Dear Leader. These politicians aren’t made of sugar. Or snow. The kitchen is hot. They’ve chosen to stew in it.

Trump’s personal attacks are usually highly effective.

I don’t think his attacks on DeSantis are accurate. That’s my only criticism of them. But then, my judgment is not going to be taken into account by their campaigns. To which I find it necessary to add “fortunately”.

Bush wanted “gentler” politics didn’t he? A “kinder, gentler conservatism”, didn’t he say? Then he took the country to war. Sentimental statements from politicians are simply laughable.

The world is not a comfy place. In fact, it is a terrifying place. Most people are not good. Trump is as good and decent a politician as can be found, rake history as one might.

2 Likes

His lead is considerably larger in Rasmussen and one or two others where it’s like 54 to 27. Nobody else like Haly or Youngkin or Meek Ponce even comes close, all in mostly low single digits.

2 Likes

Yes, Trump is sometimes very bad about some personal attacks, and he should learn to edit himself out of making the most embarrassing ones, like calling DeSantis a groomer, calling him “desanctimonius” (a very silly and ineffective stretch of a word play). He can hurt himself by making stupid ill-advised attacks. Most of his jabs are much more effective, as Jillian says in her comment.

2 Likes

I understand that, Jillian. What I mean is that term “nasty” is what even people, who will vote for him use. It harms the perception of his character…and is used strongly against him by his enemies. And…it harms the perception of the Republican party. I would have used the word “childish” but “nasty” is what I have heard from several acquaintances, who wax and wane on their support of Trump.

As I wrote earlier; attack the policies, attack the history, the demeanor, that style…but keep the nasty, childish name-calling out of the campaign when speaking of other conservative Republicans. Then, when it is over, stand strongly by the nominee. It will be more effective, if you haven’t called him nasty names, as a child might.

Character is a fragile thing, especially in the fickle public’s perception, and little dings to it add up, especially when they appear at the wrong time during a campaign. Trump has a lot of leeway, and he doesn’t need to alienate DeSantis or those, who support DeSantis, nor does he need to gloat over his lead, his strength, his height, his following compared to DeSantis’s.

It is just off-putting to many supporters, who are not fully on his band-wagon.

1 Like

Yes, his jabs are very effective, lay off the childish remarks about DeSantis and his accomplishments in Florida. America needs both leaders and Conservatives are depending on both.

His jabs are great when he is commenting on the Extremist Left.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. Save the nasty jabs for the left.

2 Likes

We should be somewhat watchful about DeSantis, though I mostly think he’s sincere. I don’t think he has deserved first place. There is every reason to believe that Trump deserves it, even despite his sometimes frustrating childishness. The radical left would not be so intent on locking him up unless he were the needful man of the hour. But DeSantis seems to think (self-servingly?) that Trump is crazy, and the left will exploit his dismal opinion. So, If DeSantis were really a dedicated America Firster, he might be more patient. But… We should be somewhat watchful…

3 Likes

I agree with you about DeSantis, Zerothruster. He’s doing a good job in Florida, but he is not the Political Giant that Trump is - uniquely in this critical time.

I think Trump is our only hope. America’s and the West’s only hope of being pulled back from the steepening downward slope.

3 Likes