Israel-Ukraine equivalence?

A friend, who ardently supports Ukraine against Russia, writes the following. He is attempting to countermy separation of these conflicts in which I am ardently for Israel and indifferent to Ukraine.
What say you?

Conservative opinion is divided on support for Ukraine. Some conservatives support the struggles of both Ukraine and Israel while others support the Israel effort “only” rejecting Western aid to Ukraine for a variety of reasons too lengthy to detail here. Yet it’s becoming increasingly clear that this is “one war” and that if you support Ukraine then it follows by circumstance that you should also support Israel. Conversely if you support Israel then - if this is indeed one war - you must also support Ukraine.

Support for Israel and the rejection of support for Ukraine should be abandoned

How do we arrive at the “one war” scenario?

By examining “who” is behind these wars - the moving force behind each conflict. In the case of the Russia/Ukraine war it’s a slam dunk: Russia unilaterally invaded a sovereign nation - a war crime in and of itself. But what about the Israeli/Hamas war, who’s behind it?

In short, Russia is behind it.

True, Russia isn’t directly involved in the fighting but it’s using proxies to do the fighting for it. Iran is a bitter enemy of Israel who has threatened time and again to wipe the Jewish state off the map. Iran is also Russia’s number one ally in its war with Ukraine providing Russia with tens of thousands of drones and more lethal cruise missiles currently in transit. It’s also been reported that Hezbollah fighters have turned up in Ukraine, fighting side by side with Russian troops. Hezbollah fighters are currently waging war against Israel from (thus far) safe bases in Lebanon. How long they will remain safe remains to be seen. Iran has also been the primary funder of Hamas, sending that terrorist group hundreds of millions over the years. There would be no Hamas were it not for Iran.

Russia is also tied to Hamas in several ways but most of all as it’s now emerging there’s a military connection: Recent disclosures have Russia deeply involved in the training of Hamas fighters who invaded and butchered Southern Israel.

Then there’s the Russia/Syria connection. Russian troops saved the day for the Assad regime entering the country years back on the side of that regime, pulverizing the opposition with massive artillery assaults on civilian areas to say nothing of using poisonous gas on civilians.

What of Syria?

It just declared war on Israel.

Syria is a client state of the Russians and doesn’t make moves like this without Russian approval and encouragement along with guarantees that: “If you declare war on Israel we will protect you.”

A puzzle remains: Why would Russia stand behind the murder and rape of hundreds of Israeli citizens? Because Russia’s war with Ukraine isn’t going that well and a “second front” may cause NATO to have second thoughts about supporting Ukraine, inasmuch as NATO and the US will now have to divert resources otherwise meant for Ukraine to the Israeli front. There’s also the “world weariness” situation that European and American publics will become tired of war and withdraw electoral support for continued funding of Ukraine.

What then was Russia’s reasoning in opening a second front doomed to military failure? I must admit this had me flummoxed for a while. After all, a Russia/Hamas victory would only be temporary after which the IDF would wipe the floor with the terrorist group. So if Russia was to obtain the greatest benefit from a second front that front had to have more payback attached to it. The Russian calculation appears to have been the following:

In the process of training Hamas, instruct them well in savagery and atrocity, debauchery, decapitation, mutilation and hostage taking. This will so outrage the Jewish state that it will launch a full scale attack on Gaza, thus outraging Muslim street opinion throughout the Middle East causing a rush to Islam’s defense. Thus far both Egypt and Turkey (militarily two of the most powerful Muslim countries) have answered the call - Egypt is sendings its tanks into Gaza and Turkey is committing its elite forces to Gaza.

So what are we looking at here?

We’re looking at a full blown Middle Eastern war.

Now that’s a second front with dividends.

But it gets better at least for the Kremlin. Not only was the Gaza invasion intended to evoke Muslim outrage in the Middle East it was also intended to evoke Muslim rage throughout the Western World. Thanks to western policies premised upon “diversity is our strength,” millions upon millions of Muslim immigrants have flooded into the Western world where they have taken to the streets in massive shows of protest against “Israeli genocide.” The underlying premise of all this protest is this: If Canada, America and Germany - to name but three of many examples - continue to support Israel then we have something more drastic in mind for you.

So you can bet your bottom dollar that there are Hamas sleeper cells all over the place just waiting for that signa (from where, from Moscow?) to unleash hell on the West that dared to support Ukraine. Either by design or intent the Biden Administration has facilitated the infiltration of Hamas terrorists into the North American continent with its wide open border policy with Mexico. Eight million people have in effect been allowed by Biden to enter the country illegally with an absolute minimum of background checks if there were any at all: A substantial number of this total entered Canada illegally via the Roxham Road entry point. This big question is this: Just how many of these 8 million migrants are terrorists on the make is anyone’s guess.

Here we have the Kremlin taking advantage of a self inflicted wound. Time and again we were told by our elites that “diversity is our strength.” If so, it follows that our choice of immigrants is based upon “how different you are from us,” and god forbid that it should be based on “how similar you are to us.” The greater the cultural difference, the more attractive you are as immigration material. So for decades immigrants that have flooded the West have had an especially hard time assimilating, especially when told by Woke elites that “your assimilation is the worst of all possible worlds. Stay as you are, stay as different from the rest as you possibly can.”

"Diversity is our strength!

To make a long story short it just hasn’t worked out that way but more like:

“Diversity is a disaster.”

Be that as it may, Putin’s second front takes geopolitical advantage of the Western meme that diversity is our strength and uses it against us to create turmoil and unrest - anything to take the Western ouvre away from Ukraine as the West becomes absorbed with its own internal problems while questioning support for Ukrainian war effort.

It follows as surely as night follows day that this is one conflict primarily moved by Russia not only in collusion with Iran but also North Korea and China. North Korea just shipped 90 containers of weapons to Russia while China stepped on board by condemning Israel’s invasion of Gaza. Here both Russia and China are telling Muslims: We are your friends while those in the West are your enemies.

[Check this out hot off the press: Vladimir Putin who never tired of slandering Ukrainians with the Nazi epithet is now hurling the same slander at the Jews. Also see China lining up with the Russian position, backing Hamas and spurning Israel].

Thus it follows that the Russia/Ukraine war and the Hamas/ Israeli war are not two separate discrete entities hermetically sealed but critically intertwined as part of a larger geopolitical equation: Growing global tension spearheaded by Russia’s imperial ambitions supported by imperialist nuclear powers China (Taiwan), North Korea (South Korea) and Iran - a soon to be nuclear power sworn to destroy Israel and exert hegemony in the Middle East, absorbing Iraq and replacing Saudi Arabia

Claims explicit and implicit by some conservatives that the two conflicts are qualitatively different is like saying that Mussolin’s war in Ethiopia was a different kettle of fish from the London Blitz or that America’s Pearl Harbour had no connection to Germany’s invasion of Poland, further that the Battle of the North Atlantic had nothing to do with Guadalcanal. On the contrary, when all is said and done they were all part of the same war - the Second World War.

So it goes that the Russia/Ukraine War and the thus far Israeli/Hamas war are part of a larger geopolitical conflict arena in which two sides are ominously lining up in what could be a portent of World War Three. Islam has to some extent been a non-aligned factor globally although we should probably exclude Iran that has had close ties with Moscow for many years now. Hence the Iranian/Shia branch of Islam had already been captured by the China/Russia axis; it was the by far larger Sunni branch of Islam that remained out of reach with the Saudis in particular playing hard to get. But the Sunni branch of Islam has now been secured or at the very least some distance has been travelled in securing Sunni Muslim support seen by the entry of Turkey and Egypt into the fray, both countries standing beside the Russia/Iran concordat while spurning Israel and the West. It goes without saying that the aggregate opposition to the West etched before the reader here is a formidable adversary by any stretch of the imagination.

Conservatives should thus reconsider their classification that (a) Ukraine is a bad war that deserves no support and that (b) Israel is a good war that deserves every support. This is a problematic dichotomy - because if this discussion has any credibility at all - Ukraine and Israel are two peas from the same pod and we support one at the expense of the other only at our peril.

Malcolm MacKinnon, Oct 2023

1 Like

I would say that your friend’s heart is in the right place.

But -
How does Russia benefit from an Arab - or call it a Muslim - attack on Israel in which such atrocities have been committed that have shocked even such cold consciences - at least temporarily - as those of the lefty kleptocrats running the EU?
NATO is not engaged in the Arab-Israel conflict. Nor will be. Except maybe Turkey, which should be expelled from the organization. But I don’t think Erdogan is sending his troops into Gaza. He’s all talk most of the time. (But I’ll try to find out what he’s doing.)
The major funder, and economy-booster, of Iran is the traitorous “Biden” administration, not Russia, though Russia and Iran are in temporary alliance.
“Biden” is also, obstinately, a funder of Hamas.
As far as I can discover, Egyptian tanks and soldiers have been sent to Egypt’s side of its border with Gaza in order to stop Gazan refugees and Hamas deserters pouring into Egypt. They are not inside Gaza to help Hamas. President Sisi is strongly against the Muslim Brotherhood, and Hamas is the Brotherhood’s military wing. Egypt has closed its border with Gaza. If Egypt wanted to invade Israel, it has a very long border with it that it could roll across. It has an air force. Why would it want to squeeze legions and armour through a Gaza gate?
The King of Jordan, I would hope for his own sake, knows better than to risk an incursion into a fully alert Israel.
Hezbollah might well step up its rocket-shelling of northern Israel. But mass its troops on the northern border? When it has no air coverage? (Syria has an airforce, but Israel bombed Syria’s Damascus airport. It is out of use.)
The UAE has declared its sympathy with Israel. The Saudis as always will bide their time. The North African Arab states that are benefitting from trade agreements with Israel have shown no sign of joining the war.

I could go on, but enough said for the moment. Overall, I don’t think Mr. MacKinnon has it right, though I appreciate his suspicions.

1 Like

“The Russians, most of all, don’t want to choose between military ally Iran, and long-standing partner Israel,” Ramani said.

1 Like

Yes, as I supposed, Erdogan is all talk. Blames Israel for civilian deaths and not supplying free electricity to Gaza, and natters on about the (impossible) “two state solution”. But no - not sending Turkish troops into Gaza.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts here, Jillian. I’m having some troubling trying to reconcile my uncompromising support for Israel with my insouciance towards Ukraine. The moslem-Israeli war has crystalline moral clarity - civilization versus unspeakable savagery. Whereas the Russian/Ukraine conflict, I see them both as morally stuporous. My friend sees my asymmetric assessments of the two conflicts as irrational. He may be right, but, at least viscerally, I can see no moral equivalence here.

I don’t agree with that, either. I’ve thought from the beginning that Ukraine and Russia should have come to a negotiated settlement and avoided war, (but didn’t, mostly due to the U.S. encouraging an escalation in order to use Ukraine as a proxy in an attempt to bring “regime change” in Russia, and to profit from the war and subsequent rebuilding of Ukraine.)
As a result, the U.S. has depleted our resources and weapons and are now easier prey for enemies like China and Iran if this conflict between Israel and Gaza escalates.
But I don’t really see Russia as being behind it.
I would say, if anyone’s behind it, it would more likely be the traitors in our own government, who’ve been funding Iran and Hamas while knowing they intended to use the money for terrorism.
And Hamas didn’t need to be taught - by Russia or anyone else - to be brutal savages - they’ve always been that way, and have always existed for the purpose of annihilating Israel.

1 Like

I agree with you, Liz.

1 Like

Here’s my response to my friend’s letter:

You argue very well, indeed, Malcolm, and I thank you for sending your challenging thoughts. Somebody said that friends who cannot disagree or criticize their friend’s views are not friends but flatterers.

So, some thoughts:

Despite the cogency of your arguments, I hesitate to change my views just yet. I still cannot bring myself around to seeing a moral equivalence in these two conflicts. I’m not sure that I can put my finger on it, just yet.
Perhaps it’s as simple as this. The Israeli conflict concretizes (in my mind at least) a battle between savagery and the civilization of the Enlightenment. There is a crystalline moral clarity here that I do not see in the Ukraine war. There, I still see a moral murkiness somewhat akin to the Iran/Iraq war some years ago. Yes, one country there invaded the other and, ipso facto, committed a war crime. Then as now, I say a plague on both their houses.
Maybe it’s as simple as my, all too human, Jewish partisanship in defending Israel, which, as someone said, is the miracle of a dispossessed people finally going home after two millennia of persecution and genocide in Christian and Islamic lands.

Furthermore, I cannot see what benefit Russia get by a Hamas victory. It just makes no sense. I think, perhaps, Putin is hedging his bets. Also, I’m not sure if Russia did train Hamas or not, but I do know that Hamas needs no lessons in committing atrocities.

Another interesting point: I believe that in the previous free election in Ukraine (?2014), the people elected a pro-Russian President who was overthrown in a coup organized, it is widely believed, by the CIA.

I think, as you say, that support, while still strong on the left, conservatives are losing their enthusiasm for Ukrainian support. Perhaps for reasons I have offered here.

I’d like to clarify a point here, too. Please do not think that I endorse Putin. Despite the fact that one can make some good arguments for his actions, I do not support his invasion. Despite the fact that one can make some good arguments for Zelensky’s views. I do not support his "poking the bear"as some have. One could argue, I suppose, that this damnable war is possibly a self-inflicted wound. In any case, they are both autocrats ruling over utterly corrupt regimes. For all their faults, though, both parties are rational, and could have and should have negotiated a settlement. And it is not too late. The loss of hundreds of thousands of lives cannot be justified at all.
On the other hand, Hamas is utterly irrational, and one cannot negotiate with them. War is the only answer.

This is my preliminary response, Malcolm. Looking forward to your comments.

S

1 Like

I agree with you. There is no moral equivalence.

1 Like

Yes, I too very much doubt that Russia trained Hamas. Putin gave Hamas money, but so did Biden and the west European states - much more, I would guess.

And as you say, no one had to train Hamas to be cruel savages. That’s who they are. That’s what they’re comfortable with being.

1 Like

And your friend omits the anti-Jew factor. That’s what the Arab anti-Israel perpetual war is all about.

I don’t know what the Russia-Ukraine war is about. Does anybody know? Does even Putin know?

1 Like

All those passionate rallies for “the Palestinians” - are they joined by non-Arabs because they like “Palestinians” or because they hate Jews?

If asked, many of them would probably say, “Both.”

I say because they hate Jews. Not for any real reason. They just do.

That’s why antisemitism will never stop.

1 Like

I can understand the antisemitism of the Palestinians - their recorded IQ is way below average and their religion indoctrinates them - but thats no excuse for the non-Muslim ones who go along with the lies and defend the atrocities.
But these useful idiots also defend every other absurdity, such as transgenderism (which will likely get you killed in a Muslim nation) so no surprise…

1 Like

Anti-Semitism is essentially unknown in India or China. It is primarily a western phenomenon and is Christian and Islamic in origin. Christian Jew hatred stems from the rejection of Jesus as god, and the killing of this god. Islamic Jew hatred stems from the Jewish rejection of Mohammed and Allah. All the rest are footnotes.

2 Likes

Yes, those facts were causal. But the millions of modern antisemites don’t hate Jews because of them. They don’t really care about ancient religious stories. They may bring them up as excuses along with many other excuses, but they are not real reasons. There is no real reason. It long since became a convention that the Jews are to be hated. Provided by nature, as it were, for that purpose. As air is to be breathed.

“The rat is underneath the piles, the Jew is underneath the lot,” says the acclaimed poet T.S.Eliot, and, when challenged about the lines, he defended them as good poetry.

It will never change. And there is nothing that can be done about it.

1 Like

If it ever could have been eradicated, it would have been here, in America.
Before leftist indoctrination, including the poison of “multiculturalism” began to overtake us, along with the importation of too many unassimilable Muslims, we were actually making great progress.
But of course, the left ruins everything.

1 Like

You are right. It will never change, and nothing can be done about it. TS Eliot was a well known anti-Semite and,of course, ardent Christian.

2 Likes

Yes, it might have been eradicated in the US, but the advent of cultural relativism, moral relativism, and epistemological relativism shut that possibility down completely.

2 Likes

Europe’s turnaround from “no more aid to Hamas” to “triple aid to Hamas” has come quicker than the most disillusioned of cynics could have foreseen. (Yes, “Gaza” is a synonym for “Hamas”.)

Quote:
The European Commission is tripling its humanitarian assistance to Gaza as the bloc comes under mounting pressure to present a coherent policy on the Israel-Gaza crisis.

European Council chief Charles Michel has convened an extraordinary virtual meeting of EU leaders for Tuesday to establish a “clear unified course of action that reflects the complexity of the unfolding situation".

The EU’s executive arm will increase its humanitarian funding to Gaza from €25 million to €75 million.

What do you get if you kill over 1,000 people? Your foreign aid gets tripled. Lesson well learned.

1 Like

I am surprised because I thought it would take about two weeks for the expected craven EU surrender. I am also surprised that Gaza is still existing. Not only that, but I had hoped that the feckless Netanyahu would have at least started the ground offensive. But no.

1 Like