What Is Epiphany? And When Is It Celebrated in 2023?

I’ve now watched the video.

By and large, it is okay. Makes the point that the Jesus narratives were made up over centuries and that there’s very little fact in them; none that substantiates the Christian belief that a particular Jewish gentleman in the 1st Century C.E. was a divinity.

I learned nothing new from it. The Maccabee reference, to which I was looking forward, is made in passing. No explanation.

The video has faults and errors. Some that I noted:

Towards the very end the ritual obeisance to “Christian ethics”. Unwarranted.

Starts with someone saying that religion is or should be “a search for truth”. Not so. Never so. It is always a set of unproved assertions.

“Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge”. Wrong. “The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil” is correct. In any case a silly myth.

“In the first century almost all Christians were Jews.” Very wrong. Some Jews in the wider Roman Empire became Christians, converted to Saul/Paul’s new religion. In Judea there would have been hardly a Christian to be found, unless he was a traveler passing through. Most Christians were probably “God-fearers” in the wider Empire, which is to say gentiles who (as the video says) clustered round synagogues, were attracted to Judaism but did not want to observe the Jewish dietary laws or to be circumcised. Saul/Paul’s gentile converts.

Septuagint – not septuigent.
Confucius – not Confucious.

Constantine did not make Christianity the “official” religion of the Roman Empire. Theodosius did, in 380. That was 55 years after Constantine convened the Council of Nicea.

It totally omits the importance of Greek philosophy in Christian theology. (The Gospel According to John begins with Greek philosophy: “In the beginning was the Logos …”)

In sum, not a video that atheists need. But Christians could be nicely shocked by it.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed some spelling errors, too.
And nothing was gone into in depth. Made on a shoestring budget, I guess. The old Bible movie scenes (with the added bonus of the Scarlet Pimpernel here and there!?) were a nice touch, :smile: if a bit distracting… But it did cover alot of ground.

1 Like