Trump Was a Great President But

Only now, for the first time, I have a criticism to make of President Trump.

I think he has made a big mistake by attacking Ron DeSantis.

What do you think?

3 Likes

I was so shocked and very, very disappointed. We do have have time to waste on his typical political antics.

He also attacked Glen Younkin by making fun of his name.

Fortunately, they did not respond in kind. Trump will turn people off with this childish behavior, so he better get himself under control and pull people together instead of pushing supporters away.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Republicans lost because of anything President Trump is, said, or did.

Quote:
There was no red “tsunami”, “wave” or even “trickle”. In fact, the 2022 midterm election was a major win for the Democratic Party. Usually, in a midterm election, the party in power suffers huge losses. It happened in 1994, 2010 and 2018.
It did not happen in 2022 despite the horror show being delivered by President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party. The country is suffering from historic inflation, a border invasion, massive increases in crime, a fentanyl epidemic, educational malpractice in our schools, as well as an array of other problems.
It is ludicrous to blame the election disappointment on President Donald Trump. He won over seventy-four million votes in 2020, the most of any GOP presidential nominee in American history. During his campaign, he was the only former Republican Party presidential nominee on the campaign trail trying to help his fellow GOP candidates. He held numerous rallies all over the country, energizing grassroots Republicans to support candidates running in the midterm election.

2 Likes

I am not blaming the election results on anything Trump did or said.

The game now is 2024, and if he is starting to campaign for the Rep. nomination, he needs not do it by attacking Rep. again, as he did in 2016. What does that gain him? What does that gain the country?

What I said was that we do not have the time…or luxury…to waste on Trump’s political antics, that only serve to turn people off and allow him to be likened to a buffoon. If that is what he plans to continue doing…well, I think that is a failed plan to win hearts and influence conservatives to support him. There is so much else he could do that would unite conservatives against the Biden agenda and help win others to a cause that would begin to turn the nation around. It will be in a pitiful state when Rep. again …and it seems that time is coming…have no power to stop Biden and gang from pushing us further away from sanity.

Let him remedy the mistakes he has made, stand with Republican governors and begin a movement to turn more states red.

2 Likes

Too much has already changed. Values, morals, tastes, standards, way-of-life, expectations … There’s no going back.

Whatever the new world order turns out to be, the plan for it - judged by how far it has already been implemented by almost all governments - is not for it to be free, or prosperous, or happy.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree that was a big mistake.
He and DeSantis need to stand together to strengthen the conservative movement - not weaken it by competing against each other.
There is too much at stake here - the future of the free world - for the precious few great leaders we have to get caught up in petty infighting.
I don’t know what Trump was thinking, but I hope he doesn’t keep that foolishness up.

2 Likes

I just finished reading VDH’s article, which does a thoughtful and thorough job of covering this dilemma. Thought you might like it posted here. Many heavy sighs during my reading.

3 Likes

Yes, I think DJT’s response was stupid. I didn’t check whether DeSantis actually said Trump is crazy, as was reported. But if it is true DeSantis did, Trump never doesn’t punch back, though sometimes, he should think about not punching back. Same goes for the childish remark he made about Younkin.

3 Likes

I didn’t know about DeSantis saying that. That would explain it. Also, his remark about Youngkin made me wonder - does Youngkin have ties to the CCP that may compromise him? That would explain that remark, too. But without an explanation, it makes Trump look bad, not the other way around.

3 Likes

Alot is true here, but to say Trump “whined” about Georgia’s rigged election which ensured the loss?
I think what ensured it was the rigging. And he was just supposed to say nothing about it?
He was right to complain, but did he - or anybody - DO enough about it.
Many tried, but most of the corruption remained in place, and no amount of voting could overcome the fraud. So all the blame throwing now is pointless.
Yes, he’s not perfect, but no candidate ever will be.
Like it or not, he’s the leader of the populist movement, and to reject his leadership will only weaken the movement.

2 Likes

True, and well said.
I think there’s been something of a rush lately to blame him, and a tendency among some people to signal their virtue and smarts by getting on that bandwagon. He doesn’t help himself with his childish attacks on potential rivals, or with his throwing blame at others.

3 Likes

I agree. I don’t trust Youngkin. I’ll admit I don’t know much about him, but then, if he were really, outspokenly anti-RINO and pro-MAGA, we would all know and have better grounds for trusting him. The republican party is so shot through with fakers – deep sate ‘talent’ cultivated and placed on the gameboard over decades of hard work. Charlie Crist…

3 Likes

Quote:
What about the strange Trump-DeSantis pseudo-war some have so loudly declared? It’s all bogus.
As for those who say, “DeSantis is so much better than Trump!” How do you know? Yes, he is great if you’re a Floridan. But that’s one state out of 50. Do they have any idea how he’d run America’s national defense? Or our foreign policy? Would he close the border? Shipping 50 illegal aliens to Martha’s Vineyard was a cool stunt. But it doesn’t actually stop the cartels or prevent 110,000 fentanyl deaths in a year. He could be a great president—maybe. On the other hand, there is no question President Trump can do the job. Because he did it for 4 years. He crushed ISIS, revitalized the military, brought inflation down to 1.8 percent and gas to under $2 a gallon, revitalized NATO, made America energy independent, pushed unemployment to the lowest levels in generations, and oversaw a stock market boom that helped everyone’s 401k. Need I go on?
It really does blow my mind that small-minded people are actually griping about President Trump making fun of the governor of Virginia’s name or giving Ron DeSantis a new nickname. We have war in Europe, 2 million illegal immigrants in 12 months, more dead in a year from drugs than twice the dead of Vietnam, and record gas prices—but ribbing Youngkin and DeSantis is beyond the pale. Keep clutching at your pearls, while the rest of us try to save America from a joint RINO-Democrat elite that is dismantling at warp speed the nation we love.
There is no war between the governor of Florida and my old boss. But the people who have sold you and your family down the river definitely want you to believe there is, and they would love to weaponize DeSantis as their tool to rip MAGA world apart.

Comment:
He’s right! I stand rebuked.

3 Likes

Yes, when you consider what Trump accomplished - with one hand tied behind his back! - his occasionaly dumb remarks are insignificant.
Especially when compared to the disaster we’re now suffering under the Democrats and Rinos.
It’s just the same old thing all over again - they started the attacks during his first campaign, and they’re still doing it. To defeat him at all costs.
My only worry is that he and/or DeSantis will take the bait and become rivals. Or that Trump’s voters will fall for it and turn against him.

2 Likes

I love Sebastian Gorka. Thanks for the link.

3 Likes

It is not the point of whether there is a riff between the two, but Trump’s words on the matter. What he says hurts him and DeSantis. Voters do not need any reasons to turn off voting for Trump. That is what his “political antics” do and have done in the past.

We love DeSantis. We love Trump. America needs them both. Trump offends people when he disses DeSantis. Why give maybe-voters a reason to reconsider? It isn’t funny. It isn’t cute. It is stupid.

They should be allies. But, now Trump has to persuade voters that they could be allies. It was a stupid and juvenile thing to do.

And…for chissake, we know that the world is burning and freezing and hungry and on a brink of a manipulated war, but when we need patriots to stand together or at least be civil to each other…we get Trump’s stupid name-calling instead. That affects how the campaign to save our nation runs its course. And that is serious stuff. Save America…Save the World.

So…I am not inclined to abandon my support of Trump, but there are many who are on the fence…and he knows that! We all know that. Why push them over the side by acting so like a buffoon? It is always the little things that stick in people’s minds and alters how they think about a person.

1 Like

Exactly. He and DeSantis should be allies, not rivals. DeSantis should come out and declare that he’s not running for President in 24, and throw his support behind Trump.

3 Likes

Quote:
Most people do not understand the kind of true sacrifice Trump made when he decided to run for office—even though he surely didn’t have to. The hatred and other persecutions, the sorts that come with such public sacrifices, have the potential of ruining not only one’s own life but that of one’s family. Most people don’t know anything about what that’s like. Nevertheless, Trump chose to make those sacrifices to expose the unabashed corruption at every level of American politics.
Before Trump pulled back the curtain we only saw shadows and projections of what was actually happening there. We got only rare glimpses of what really goes on behind the scenes. We knew things weren’t on the up and up, but little did we know how deep the swamp really was. At that time, the Republican Party was lifeless and without any sense of direction. No one should forget that Trump resuscitated a dying party. He gave it a future. He gave it hope.
He was the people’s champion among those who felt left behind by the establishment on both sides. He put American politics under a microscope like no other president ever has. During his four years in office, he showed what our country could be with no new wars, significantly reduced illegal immigration, tax cuts and deregulation, bringing companies back to America, and building a stronger military.
It is undeniable that Trump brought an authentic and unique agenda to the table and showed himself to be different from anything the Republican Party has ever had. While others have become prominent in our political culture after him, no one is quite like Trump and to think otherwise is ludicrous.
Backing away from Trump now is ill considered. Make some of your own observations about these strange occurrences and remember why you liked Trump in the beginning.
Remember, the same people who were attacking him years ago are the ones still attacking him now, only today they are using a well-liked candidate (who owes a great deal to Trump) against him, causing a divide and duping everyone in the process. Consider who that really benefits. That says a lot to me.

2 Likes

Yes, excellent point - consider who the divide really benefits - the Rinos and leftists who never wanted him to begin with.
It should not be “the Era of Trump is over”.
It should be “the Era of Rigged Elections is over”!

1 Like