Tools for Resistance

Deleted Post. Sorry by the inconvenient.

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

Read this before choosing Firefox:

The author is the CEO of Mozilla.

Quote:

The rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality. Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way, and he won’t be the last. We need solutions that don’t start after untold damage has been done.

2 Likes

Brave might be a better choice. Brave was created by Brendan Eich who was (“resigned”) kicked out of Mozilla for opposing same sex marriage.

Wikipedia says there has been some controversy around donations, but I haven’t looked closely at that, and the complainants seem to be the usual suspects. It also says that they have changed their policy on that anyway:

2 Likes

Telegram is doing well, they are now at 101 in Alexa’s world internet ranking. Most of their users seem to be in India and Russia according to Alexa:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/telegram.org

I can’t comment on how secure it is, I’ve searched for info but it may be all propaganda for all I know. I did notice that its headquarters were in Dubai, I don’t know if that’s significant. Some prominent lockdown sceptics in the UK have been using it.

2 Likes

“But as reprehensible as the actions of Donald Trump are, the rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality.”

That is a terrible calumny. President Trump DID NOT “use the internet to foment violence and hate and reinforce white supremacy”. Quite the opposite. He told his followers at that rally to be peaceful. And as for “white supremacy”, there has never been, in all his life, the least trace or hint of racism to be found in him. He has always worked happily with people of many races.

Are the calumnies and outright lies of the Left to become the established “truths” of this terrible new era? When conservatives start repeating them as truths, all is lost.

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

OK I think those are the key points, the political opinions of the CEO shouldn’t be too much of a concern if that’s the case.

It was a bit of an alarmingly Orwellian blog post from her (xe is a she btw) though, I thought it worth sharing that. I have also noticed that with the default browser settings you get bombarded with links to articles from the BBC, the Guardian etc. You can just turn the suggestions off in the settings though.

1 Like

Just to be clear I don’t have a strong opinion on any of this, and you clearly know more about it than I do. As you say we learn from sharing and debating indeed so thanks for raising this important topic as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know Brave is based on Chromium but in my limited understanding that is also open source, and so I was inclined to trust Brave, especially since the founder of Brave seems to hold conservative views. My understanding is that Chrome builds on top of Chromium, and adds closed source code so that most certainly we can’t trust Chrome in the slightest (same sort of logic applies to Android as I understand it as well).

I agree with you in general about advertising, but unfortunately everybody expects everything for free on the internet so funding is a huge problem across the board, especially for anti-establishment news media. It may be wandering slightly off topic to talk about that, it’s such a huge and important subject but I would just like to mention that I have been very interested in the rise of websites and software such as Brave that are trying to make donation type models more effective, so actually that was another part of my interest in Brave. Sites such as Steemit and Odyssee are very interesting to me also for the same reason. However I don’t have the time to learn more about all that at the moment, I have my head immersed in trying to make sense of the truly alarming political situation so I think I better not start on the subject for now.

1 Like

Points taken there, but as I understood it the founders of Telegram were mavericks who were trying to resist pressure from Putin’s government. Pavel Durov got rich from starting a social media venture and then founded Telegram as a not for profit, his brother is also involved in it apparently. I was slightly (very cautiously) inclined to think that they were good guys in fact in all this. As for the location in Dubai I did wonder about it, but since tyranny is on the rise in the West I was inclined to think Dubai was probably as good as anywhere.

A definite downside though is that you have to give them your phone number to use the app, it’s not the platform for those who want to be ultra private. I am myself somewhat blasé about security in all honesty, I know that the UK government can find me very easily if it wants to, and I don’t think I’m high profile enough to worry about attacks from Muslims.

1 Like