Tommy Robinson hit by lawfare

Tommy Robinson pursued by creditors for an estimated £2m

Most of the amount is for legal fees following a libel case that he lost. Quote:

In July, a judge ordered him to pay £100,000 to a refugee schoolboy he had wrongly accused of attacking a girl.

He also owes an estimated £1.5m in legal costs for the boy’s lawyers.

Also:

Hope not Hate is fundraising to pay for the cost of the independent insolvency expert

Katie Hopkins was also hit with punitive legal costs following another libel case some time ago. Certainly we need to be careful what we say in these days of instant mass communication, but I do wonder if libel laws need to be looked at.

3 Likes

Yes, and I doubt the assertion by the press that the boy was “wrongly accused” has any more truth to it than anything else the lying media says.
As we all know, they label anything that challenges their official narrative as “disinformation”.

2 Likes

The thing that strikes me about the case, and the reason I posted the possibly debatable title, is the sheer size of the legal bills which were 15 times the size of the actual settlement. Compare with the Katie Hopkins case where the bills were only 3 times the size if I remember right, still enough to force her to sell her home.

It seems to me that regardless of what actually happened, the legal costs are very excessive for what could have been a case of TR being simply misled by others (whether there was any malice in that I couldn’t say). As I understand it some people sent TR claims and videos supposedly as evidence that there had been assaults by the boy at school, and he posted these on social media with his own commentary.

You’ll be obviously hard pressed to find a balanced article about the case in the MSM (it was very widely reported, even on al-Jazeera), nowhere have I found any balanced reporting, it’s all anti-TR. The most reliable info. may be straight from the judiciary, but it’s a long read:

3 Likes

They are obviously trying to bring him to financial ruin, while smearing him in the press, their standard tactic. They couldn’t keep him locked up long enough, so on to plan B!

3 Likes

Seems that in poor old Britain the courts - and all the law-enforcement institutions including the police - have been so corrupted by the destructive ideology of the Left that no one can hope to get justice any more, entirely innocent though they may be.

2 Likes