The People’s Princess

This whole thing of Meghan Merkel declaring herself as “The People’s Princess” is sort of reminding me of Diana Spencer or as she was called Princess Diana of Wales.

This C-Span video of Christopher Hitchens and this NY post article delves into the subject of Diana.

2 Likes

I used to be ambivalent about the Royal Family but I’ve completely turned against them now, they are part of the problem and they have to go. The Queen is not supposed to get involved in politics but here she didn’t just cross that line, she got involved in CORRUPT politics (probably I hope unwittingly but that’s beside the point).

We need an elected monarch I think, that would be a nice way to keep some of the tradition going.

2 Likes

In all her long reign, the Queen has not put a foot wrong. Until now.

She needs to be corrected.

But an elected monarch? No!

1 Like

Yes, as long as they stayed out of politics, it always just seemed like a nice, quaint tradition.
But now that they’re joining in pushing the “woke” agenda they have quickly worn out their welcome.
Prince Charles blabbing about climate change, Harry and Megan about racism and bashing Trump… Please shut up and go away!
We already have Biden, Harris, and way too many others to annoy, infuriate, and embarrass us.

2 Likes

Interesting, learned alot I never knew about Diana from Hichens here. And yes, she was alot more like Meghan Markle than I thought!
Both entered the Royal family without taking the duties of it seriously, both “gold diggers”.
Also didn’t know Diana was such a “homewrecker”, and her last boyfriend was from a family of such shady characters. Didn’t read enough tabloids at the time, I guess!

3 Likes

She is the Head of the Commonwealth and she has completely failed to voice any concern (to my knowledge anyway I can’t find any record) of all the extreme human rights violations that have gone on in Commonwealth countries, for example the death penalty for blasphemy in Pakistan; we could argue that was putting a foot wrong. Anyway surely we’ve got more important things to worry about right now though, I shouldn’t have brought it up as it is an issue that divides conservatives.

1 Like

I don’t think she’s put a foot wrong even now - not over Covid vaccinations. She says what the government requires her to say, as with the Queen’s Speech at the opening of Parliament. What I was thinking of was her statements on climate change, which seem to have been her own. That is a political issue on which she may not express an opinion publicly, and she did. One lapse. She may not express an opinion on Pakistan’s laws. Pakistan needs to be kicked out of the Commonwealth. All aid should be cut off from it.
Just imagine whom you could get as “elected monarch” - ie president. A Glenys Kinnock?A Diane Abbott? Some Muslim like the Mayor of London? One could think of even worse. It’s impossible fortunately. The Glorious Revolution gave Britain a constitutional monarchy. As Margaret the Great P.M. said, “Britain is the product of history, America the product of philosophy.”

2 Likes

This is the first time I have heard that there are British conservatives who want an elected monarchy. In what way are they conservatives?

3 Likes

Donald Trump was an elected head of state. We’ve got the same problem with our politics in general, which was why I was pondering on the viability of universal suffrage a few years ago. Above all else what we need is for those who DO have the vote to be people who are able to use it wisely. They must understand the consequences of their vote and they must be well informed about all the issues that their vote will affect, so without an honest media we are lost in general. The Royal Family is just a minor distraction in the bigger picture.

3 Likes

Fair point but on that basis you could argue that there are no conservatives in the USA, since you all broke free from the monarchy some time ago :slightly_smiling_face: I do sometimes wonder whether conservative is the right word I suppose really I should just call myself right wing.

3 Likes

What one wishes to conserve depends on what country one is living in and what its history is - what of its past and traditions conservatives believe needs to be conserved. In Russia, “conservatives” wanted to conserve Stalinism.

American conservatism obviously has different priorities, even if, because of the British inheritance, there is the same idea of what conservatism is purely as an idea.

Yes, with elections it is possible to get a head of state like Washington, Lincoln, Reagan and Trump. But you can also get a Carter, an Obama, and a Biden.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I wonder if she felt free to comment on climate change (as Charles does) because it’s been insinuated into the culture (as a result of “cultural marxism” propaganda) and they see it as more of a cultural than a political issue.
(Or at least they use that as an excuse)
(And covid as a health issue.)

4 Likes