The Man Who Stood Athwart History and Cried Stop

Quote:
Buckley is known as the founder of the modern conservative movement in the United States … standing, as he put it, athwart history, yelling stop.

[Now] the power of the state increases. The new masters are obsessed with race; for them there is no southern border; they have released violent criminals from jail, weaponized the FBI and the IRS against the non-woke, denied there are only two sexes, and will punish people who disagree; they jailed peaceful January 6 protestors (keeping some in solitary confinement), while praising Black Lives Matter protestors who killed and looted with abandon; they have changed the voting laws and seek to destroy the Electoral College and eliminate the filibuster, all the better to acquire and wield power, unlimited power against any who dare oppose them.
We have already seen the pressure the federal government put on Twitter in the closing days of the last presidential election not to reveal any information about Hunter Biden’s laptop in order to fix an election. The laptop story alone, if it had been made public, would most likely have changed the outcome of the last presidential election and the course of American history.
As the state’s power and reach grows, the people’s freedom shrinks. Buckley knew that. Americans who don’t yet, will discover how true it is. That’s why Buckley spent a lifetime opposing the growth of the state.

Comment:
This is, I think, a very good article about William F. Buckley Jr.
His intellect, his energy, his achievements are awe-inspiring. His principles are the pillars of American conservatism. (I overlook his devout Catholicism.)
America needs another like him, but such as he are extremely rare.

3 Likes

Interesting - Buckley died the year Obama was elected; Rush Limbaugh, to whom Buckley had been a mentor, died the year Biden was “elected”.
(I think both were stolen.)
Both bad omens.

3 Likes

He was a hero to me for many years. The date of his passing, 27 February 2008, registered indelibly in mind - as did that of Hitchens a few years later, 15 December 2011.

3 Likes