The Day of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor

1 Like

No. That is wrong. Here’s the truth:

“Revisionists often cite conspiracy theories that the Roosevelt Administration lured Japan into the war by previously limiting oil exports to Tokyo (a mere five months before Pearl Harbor) or by foolishly moving the 7th Fleet from San Diego to a deliberately exposed and not so well defended Pearl Harbor.
Such contrarian views fail to persuade because the one-sided source of tensions had been clear to all for a decade. Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931. It resumed its war with China by invading the mainland in 1937. In September 1940, it absorbed French colonial Indochina. …”

3 Likes

I am no fan of FDR.

But how can an American not be on the side of America - and FDR - when it comes to WW2 and the war against Japan?

Victor Davis Hanson lays out the facts brilliantly.

2 Likes

I see. Not questioning that Imperial Japan had to be stopped. I’m just confused about the questionable actions of WW2 such as why FDR put in Internment camps for Japanese-American and allying with Soviet Russia when after the war took over East Germany and half of Europe. I think I remember Ayn Rand writing about it in the non-fiction books, I don’t remember where but I’ll check later where she writes “World War II led, not to [Roosevelt’s] ‘Four Freedoms,’ but to the surrender of one-third of the world’s population into communist slavery.”

2 Likes

All that happened. It was bad. The worst was that FDR handed eastern Europe to Soviet Russia.

BUT the allies won the war - in very large part because of America’s colossal military strength, under the leadership of FDR.

2 Likes

I agree there are alot of questionable things there.
I know FDR was heavily influenced by the communist agents that infiltrated his administration, which explains why so much was conceded to the Soviets. But I hadn’t known much about the Japanese aspect. Interesting information to ponder.

1 Like

The unspeakable atrocities committed by Japan in China, and in their own prisoner of war camps, should make it very hard for any sympathy to go to the Japan of that era.

2 Likes

We are not given a good reason by the author of the article why FDR would connive at the bombing of Pearl Harbor - which is what apparently Robert Stinnett is accusing him of. Perhaps Stinnett himself gives none.

What possible motive could he have had?

“To bring us into the war” is mentioned. But FDR could have declared war on the axis powers at any moment he chose. There was overwhelming reason to do so. He did not need such a calamity as Pearl Harbor for a pretext. The bombing DID bring America into the war, yes, - but did FDR encourage it in secret for that purpose? I consider the accusation not just nonsense but insane nonsense.

1 Like

Yes, I wondered about that, too. Doesn’t seem to have been a need for it as an excuse.

2 Likes

Thank you, Yazmin, for bringing up the topic of Pearl Harbor on its 80th. anniversary.

The event must be remembered, and history is always worth re-examining.

2 Likes