Star Trek actress Nichelle Nichols' ashes headed for solar orbit in 'eternal

She was a great feminist and advocate of civil liberties.

You are in favor of ā€œfeminismā€?

1 Like

Feminism (derived from Latin femina ā€˜womanā€™ and -ism) is a generic term for social, political and academic currents and social movements that, based on critical analyses of gender orders, advocate equality, human dignity and self-determination of all people of all genders, as well as against sexism .
Do you agree with this definition?

No. Do you?

Feminism is an enormous fuss made by the most coddled, pampered, leisured, moneyed, secure and complaining class of persons ever to have existed - well-off women of the Western world in the 20th and 21st centuries.

4 Likes

Wow. Sounds like a definition pulled straight out of the leftist handbook on ā€œdoublespeakā€.

1 Like

Yes, Liz is right. Feminism is a Leftist movement.

2 Likes

Before I can answer your question, we need to define feminism.

LMAO! Hehehe

I have defined it to my satisfaction.

You have offered a ā€œdefinitionā€ which I donā€™t think makes sense. ā€œGender ordersā€ is a nonsensical phrase. The term ā€œfeminismā€ does not cover or include ā€œsocial, political and academic currents and social movementsā€.

As for sexism, how many feminist voices have you heard raised against ā€œtransgenderedā€ men competing in womenā€™s sports?

How many have you heard raised against the subjugation of women in Islam?

3 Likes

Well after second thought, I agree that your definition is acceptable.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really glad that you agree with me, jbob.

2 Likes

Whewā€¦that was close! :innocent:

Yay for Nichelle. I think all the other deceased stars of Star Trek have made that last journey, as well.

Is that right, Bob?

3 Likes

Reading only the headline and few lines provided in the box, my reaction is that this is the most ridiculous grift ever perpetrated. Science fiction was always a con - profoundly inimical to science, particularly evolution, and rationality. But its OK if it stays in its box. Now some lunatic has decided to boldly go and mix his metaphors for an enterprise where no ad agency has gone before: to conflate science and science fiction, fiction and reality, body and soul, death and the afterlife, Aristotelean immortality and celebrity, the universe and heaven in a literally out-of-this-world publicity stunt. This visionary has harnessed rocket science to perform the last rites for a dead TV actress who played the part of a space-ship officer. He has cast her bodily remains in a final role in a show that will never close (or not until the sun explodes in 3 billion years). (Are the remains really hers? Could they not be the ashes of a stunt double? ) What are the costs of sending oneā€™s remains into space on space-junk? Less than renting a cryonic capsule? Will Nicholsā€™ estate fund this absurdity from the ā€œresidualsā€ earned by Star Trek re-runs? But the re-runs themselves keep Nicholsā€™ memory alive - for longer than the announcement of the launch of the rocket bearing mortal remains into perpetual orbit around the sun. Why not send up computer thumb drives with videos of Uhura in place of the remains?

Will the space-junk bearing the remains be marked in anyway? An obit in orbit?
ā€œRecycled. Repurposed. Reused.ā€
Any other suggestions?

2 Likes

Such ā€œfuneral servicesā€ have been going on for some time. How Space Burials Work: Process, Cost & How to Plan | Cake Blog

This seems to be a rather popular service: Space Funeral Ashes Services | Celestis Memorial Spaceflights

I think it is perfectly fine if a family wants to ā€œhonorā€ their departed loved oneā€™s ashes in this mannerā€¦and totally cool. It beats the atrocity of embalming, burial and taking up land that should instead be used by the living. In my opinion, only.

Science Fiction ignites the imagination, which often gives way to innovation. Star Trek, no doubt, has had profound influence upon generations of innovators.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, that science fiction has inspired new scientific inventions!
But I wouldnā€™t spend that much money to travel to space while Iā€™m alive, much less after Iā€™m dead!

3 Likes

No, we wouldnā€™t, but wealthy people spend small fortunes on funerals and burial markers.

And, launch into orbit to return as a tiny shooting starā€¦$5000. Thatā€™s not bad at all. Friends and family contribute a bit and send grandma on an outer space orbit. Totally cool honor for the money. I think you go with a bunch of other people, just not all together in your tiny urn.

Why not?

Of course, I think Burials by Air are cool too, and would like to be returned to the Universe that wayā€¦but my family thinks it is yucky. Actually, I am for going off as cheap as possibleā€¦deep in the woods, maybe, which is thought of as more cool than being chopped into bite-sized pieces and eaten by vultures.

ā€œJust let me go naturallyā€¦ā€ No fuss, no fanfare, no nothing.

2 Likes