Some passing (heretical) thoughts on the late Queen

I’m of two minds on the late Queen. She was a symbol of British civilization I suppose. She knew her place and generally kept it. I admired her handling of her dysfunctional family.
They say she was very hard working and selfless. I’m not sure what work she really did but open some hospitals or visit some children’s charities or wave to her subjects. She attended war memorials. All very decent. For this selfless devotion, was awarded almost incalculable wealth and adoration. She lived in unimaginable luxury in splendid castles and palaces. She was, from birth, pampered. flattered and doted upon. Her great passions were her dogs and horses.
Finally, she visited 120 countries over her seventy year reign, but, inexplicably, did not once visit Israel.
May she rest in peace.

2 Likes

Thank you, Cogito, for your considered opinion of Queen Elizabeth. I enjoyed reading it although I do not share it.

One point you make needs to be answered with factual explanation: The British monarch has to obey “the will of the people” as expressed through the elected government and its administrative departments. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) did not permit Queen Elizabeth to visit Israel. But it could not stop her husband and other members of her family doing so, and they did. (The FCO is notoriously anti-Israel and Pro-Arab.)

2 Likes

Thanks, Jillian, for your very gentle and courteous rebuke. My comments were off the cuff only and meant to be mildly provocative. Like so many North Americans, I am very often mesmerized by the royals. As a Canadian, I am eternally grateful for our British heritage - the parliamentary system of government, the British legal system, and, indeed, for our very language. Yet, I share the intense republicanism of my American neighbours.
Yes, the FCO is known for its anti-Semitism as are the State Department and the Quai d’Orsay, I believe William is the only Royal to have “officially” visited Israel. Phillip went to Israel quietly and unofficially to visit his mother’s grave in Jerusalem. Charles went to the funeral of Rabin, but only in an unofficial capacity.
Cheers!

3 Likes

I wonder if the Brits will love and honor Charles as they did his forebears? Prince William and his family seem much more lovable royals.

Of course, old habits die hard…but it is going to be a brutal and hungry Winter in the UK. Will they blame the King or the PM?

If they look to the royals to be their caring parent and their PM just to be the government…they might blame the King. I think they thought that way about the Queen with her lifelong history of Duty and Compassion, but does that manner exude from King Charles?

I guess we will find out…

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how it goes. The Queen lived such an exemplary life (publicly, at least).
Charles and the rest of them, on the other hand, fooled around and stepped in it with too many scandals. I don’t think anyone will ever respect him the way they respected the Queen.

2 Likes

I agree. Charles and William are dim wits committed to the global warming hysteria. The monarchy may not survive.

2 Likes

Yes, we will know very soon

2 Likes

If the elites in our countries are oblivious to the hard times now, and the even harder times to come because of their beliefs put to policies, how much more clueless would royalty be?

What will the royals think when Brits are found dead in their homes from the cold? I hope that families will gather their singles into a home for all to keep warm and get by when goods become scarce…that they will pool their resources for the sake of each other.

I hope that happens in America and in cold and hungry other European nations, as well.

That said, Patriot Supply is having a 20% off sale on their 3 month food kit. It is still a chunk of money, yet not more than a person might spend on food stuffs in 3 months, and it is easily stored and designed to last 25 years…give or take a few. Just saying…

2 Likes

Some interesting observations about the Queen, and the whole Royal Family, here: https://twilightpatriot.substack.com/

2 Likes

Doug, good to see you! That is what the “like” is for.

Can’t say I agree much with the article, especially the author’s view on Charles’ political views. I await the comments of others.

Yes, Americans do have a time with their Presidents, but at least we can vote them out every 4 years, and hamstring them every 2 years. Our fault is our recent apathy, culturally, politically, economically.

1 Like

Interesting observations, but I’d agree more with Cogito that Charles and William are “dimwits committed to the climate change hysteria.”
But as a monarch he doesn’t have much influence, anyway, so it may not matter.
I like that description of the duties of royalty - to be shuttled from one place to another in order to make pronouncements, such as Prince Philip put it -
“I declare this thing open, whatever it is”!

Well said. The Queen’s passions were horses and dogs and the dangers of climate change,. I wish her passions were for such things as freedom of speech, a robust market economy, and better immigration control.

2 Likes

There has been no immigration control lately, except for white people. My niece had a heck of a time getting a student visa for graduate work in the UK…and she was joining her fiance, who lived there! They accused her of wanting to come to the UK for its healthcare…and really gave her the third degree.

1 Like

Ha! As if healthcare in the UK were something anyone would want! (Besides 3rd worlders who have none at all).

1 Like

That is what she told them…“Are you kidding me? I live in America with the greatest healthcare in the world!”

Maybe that didn’t help…

1 Like