Socrates on refutation

Socrates is a far far better man than I. Truly a remarkable man. Does he set the bar unattainably high? So very few of us, in the pursuit of wisdom and truth, would welcome refutation.​ Does anyone really think that such paragons as Moses or Jesus would seek refutation?

2 Likes

Thank you, Cogito, for reminding us of Socrates. The real man (not consistently like the character in Plato’s works) was surely one of the greatest men in recorded history. Most valuably perhaps, he taught humankind the virtue and necessity of doubt - often summed up in the saying: “I know that I do not know” - though he might never have said it precisely like that himself. (As the article you link to illustrates, with Plato’s Socrates sounding like the real man.)

Here’s a link to an article on our website, touching on Socrates, dealing with doubt, but suggesting a limit to the power of debate in these fearful times of ours:

theatheistconservative.com/2021/09/09/the-need-to-oppose-diversity-inclusion-and-equity/

1 Like

Of course both articles, the one you link to, Cogito, and the one from our website emphasize by implication the supreme value of free speech. It almost goes without saying, but I feel an urge to say it.

1 Like

Thank you. I will certainly look into your article. I’m not fond of the quote you use: “I know that I do not know” because it seems to me to be a contradiction in terms. I prefer his notion that the unexamined life is not worth living.
But his meaning is inspiring partly because it defies the ignominious claims to certainty made by Jesus, Mohammed et al…
I have a small bust of Socrates that I purchased at the British Museum many years ago that I keep on my desk.

2 Likes

It should go without saying, but in this day and age, it must be repeatedly said.

2 Likes

Good article. Being able to debate civilly is such a necessary foundation of civilization.
Tragic that it’s almost impossible now, since authoritarians have no interest in debate.

1 Like

This is yet another manifestation of the cultural collapse of the west.

2 Likes