Saad indeed

This is what comes of tolerating communists and communism in a free society. Their Long March through the institutions went unimpeded.

Paradox of tolerance - Wikipedia

2 Likes

I totally, with intense anger, and in deep despair, agree with you and Gad Saad.

2 Likes

I am also - have long been - an admirer of Karl Popper. I learned a lot from him.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly right - our toleration of communists in our free society gave them the opportunity to abuse their freedom, take advantage of us and destroy us.

1 Like

Saad is absolutely correct, of course.

2 Likes

There was a lot of reaction to Gad’s tweet, most of it agreeing to one extent or another, and a lot of it God-soaked; many of those replies by Christians probably unaware that Gad (he pronounces it like ‘god’) is an atheist. I consider him functionally a conservative. Bret Weinstein, another famous atheist who is semi-red-pilled but still identifying on the liberal side had an interesting reply:

@BretWeinstein

The West is self-destructing and the implications are even worse than they initially sound. The world before the West evolved was barbaric - lineages constantly, violently displacing each other. But bloody as that mode was, humanity could plod along like that indefinitely. That is no longer the case.

Suicide of the West will not just return humanity to full time, all consuming barbarism, it will almost certainly end our species in short order. The technology at our disposal is simply too powerful for a world without a basic agreement to prefer peaceful competition over endless war and genocide.

Recognition of this stark but obvious fact, coupled with the dawning recognition that the West is too far gone to save, should radically narrow our focus. Everything depends on our reviving, recreating, resurrecting, rediscovering or reinventing the West - before we forget what it was.

Anything that doesn’t stave off disaster in the present, or contribute to that admittedly daunting objective, is a waste of effort for the foreseeable future.

2:12 AM ¡ Oct 22, 2023

I appreciate Bret’s and his wife Heather Heying’s perspectives on things as evolutionary biologists. I disagree here that suicide of the West would necessarily mean the extinction of our species. I’m surprised he went out on that limb. His point about “Everything depends on our reviving, recreating, resurrecting, rediscovering or reinventing the West - before we forget what it was” (italics added) points out the importance of continuity in a culture. Break its continuity and you kill a culture. But that’s been one of the tactics of the radical left - perhaps explaining why they’ve been pushing every insane, perverted movement or claim into the public square.

2 Likes

What can be done to stave off the looming disaster?

2 Likes

By “the extiction of our species” I’m assuming he meant nuclear war (although now it could include bio-weapons, which could be even worse.)
Either of those methods, in the hands of terrorists or the CCP, could bring us very close to it.
The “gargantuan Greek tragedy” Saad mentions, is (seems to me) the fact that all of what’s happening now could so easily have been prevented, by simply not tolerating the enemies in our midst, and not appeasing them abroad.
Both Communists and Muslims, when not propped up by our generosity, self-destruct from the stupidity of their own ideologies, and would never have become strong enough to be a threat if left to their own devices.
But we turned out to be even dumber than them, in our misguided tolerance, and allowed them to infect us with the “parasitic mind virus” of leftist lunacy by which we became suicidal.

1 Like

I have no idea. Your guess would likely be better than mine. I’m open to suggestions.
“Recognition of this stark but obvious fact, coupled with the dawning recognition that the West is too far gone to save, should radically narrow our focus.” Again, I think Bret may be a little too dismal and far out on a limb, in the sense that I wouldn’t be sure that “the West is too far gone to save”. The substance of its culture lies in the common man from Alaska to Athens and even some points east - India and Japan for example. But I agree with him that the situation “should radically narrow our focus”. Years ago in the early days of the Obama regime, some ‘right-wing’ conservative pundit (I wish I could remember and relocate who and where) said essentially the same thing - that all of every patriot’s efforts should be concentrated on defeating Obama’s plans.

2 Likes

Brilliant comment. All you say is horribly true. Thank you, Liz!

1 Like

I found myself nodding over your reply, Zerothruster. Even a suggestion that there is still strength in Western civilization - which, yes, India and Japan, Singapore and South Korea joined - is a drink of water in this desert of desperation. But can we really have faith in the common man?

1 Like

Just saw an excellent speech on youtube titled “Noa Tishby - Hamas and the West. Shame!”
She is or was, I think, an IDF soldier, speaking at a Friends of IDF gathering.
She points out the brainwashing of Western leftists.

1 Like

Thank you, Liz.

Noa Tishby gives good replies to the questions he rightly feels it necessary to ask.

I don’t entirely agree with her when it comes to matters of opinion. I don’t think tiny little Israel, surrounded by 23 or more Arab states (not all of which are antagonistic - the UAR has a wise leader who made known his horror and disgust at Hamas’s atrocities) should be divided further to create yet another Arab state. About 80% of the territory - lost by Turkey in WW1 - promised by the Balfour Declaration to the Jews as their (historic and future) homeland was instead given (by Britain) to the Arabs to create the Emirate of Transjordan (later the Kingdom of Jordan). Then the UN proposed that a chunk of the 20% remaining should also be given to the Arabs. The Jewish leaders agreed to the plan, the Arabs did not. Tishby rightly points out that 3 times the “Palestinians” (a nation that came into existence only when Israel did) were offered a state of their own, and each time they refused the offer. They want the whole of the state of Israel. That’s why it is pointless for Western powers to go on urging a “two state solution”. Israel should define its borders now and defend them with all the determination and military might they possibly can. One state, never to be divided.

I also don’t think it possible to separate Hamas from the Gazan people. The Gazan people voted Hamas into power when Hamas made it plain that their sole aim was to destroy “the Jews”. Of course nobody should want the Gazan civilians to be harmed. Their children are to blame for nothing - though they will be by the time Hamas has finished indoctrinating them with murderous hatred of “the Jews”. And there must be sensible men and women among them who want to live in peace with Israel, which would be greatly to the benefit of all the Palestinians - and the Israelis.

1 Like