Out of the Political Fryingpan into the Political Fire

Quote:
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy announced the House is launching an impeachment inquiry of President Joe Biden, citing at least six separate allegations that led to the decision. …

[Among the allegations] the president and his son both received bribes of $5 million each.

Quote:
Section 4 of the US Constitution:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Will Joe Biden be removed from office?
If he is, we will have the silly know-nothing cackling Kamala Harris as president of the United States!

1 Like

I think Kamala would be even worse than Joe Biden in the presidency.

Are there no grounds for her simultaneous impeachment? A high Crime? A few Misdemeanors?

1 Like

Kamala or not, he should still be impeached and removed. He deserves the charge of treason, but bribery can definitely be proven, and I suppose would be enough to get the job done.

1 Like

I agree - he does deserve the charge of treason.

1 Like

McCarthy’s timing is very suspicious, coming only an hour before Matt Gaetz (the best there is) was scheduled to appear in the House with his take down of McCarthy’s dismal performance and reneging on all the terms and conditions he agreed to when he was elected Speaker. McCarthy is an obstacle supported by anti-MAGA house members.

2 Likes

He’s a phony sell- out.

1 Like

Zerothruster, do you think this criticism of Gaetz is fair or unfair?

1 Like

My two cents - I could be wrong, but this seems to be the standard tactic they’ve been using for years - beat everyone into submission with the threat of a government shutdown in order to get what they want, the CR. A government shutdown actually wouldn’t hurt anything.

2 Likes

Describing Gaetz’s approach as narcissistic nihilism is out of line and a daft misuse of both those terms. I think Gaetz is trying to lead by example in being so out front about what he sees as doing the right things to move the ball forward for our side. “Gaetz’s game here looks neither practical nor principled, but just a play for social-media hits and self-aggrandizement.” That’s wrong, especially the “nor principled” part. He’s not self-aggrandizing here. His positions may not always be the most practical, politics being the art of the possible. But the House GOP conference needs to be more aggressive and united in using its leverage as much as possible.

The 30-day Continuing Resolution may be a rational move at this point, to put the ball in the Senate’s court, but it’s unfortunate that we have a House Speaker who has to be cajoled into leading in the right direction. The last time the Republicans used their leverage to force a temporary gov’t shut down, the GOP did very well in the 2014 mid-terms.

2 Likes

Yes, and apparently the CR is also a way for them to get to the end of the year and pass another Omnibus bill, in which all the woke crap of the Dems will be included.

2 Likes

I think you are both right, Zerothruster and Liz!

Liz’s justified suspicion does not contradict Zerothruster’s view of McCarthy with which I also agree.

2 Likes

Here’s endorsement of Zerothruster’s faith in Gaetz:

As the Trump saying goes: we’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

Yes, Gaetz is one of the few in congress putting up a fight to “business as usual” - more out-of-control spending and the entrenching of the woke agenda.
Without his persistent goading, McCarthy would just be going along with all of it.

1 Like

Some have recently said that Gaetz is for the time being the de facto speaker. One of his more obviously valuable positions is to limit legislation to single-subject bills and not tie dozens of questions together in a single bill, which is nearly always the way it happens. That way (single-subject) members would have to own their support of this or that motion with great transparency. De-fund the new FBI building, larger than the Pentagon? Up or down vote on that!

2 Likes