Jordan Peterson tweet about CRT

What are your thoughts about this tweet from Jordan Peterson?

3 Likes

I agree with Dr Peterson, you canā€™t ban ideas, just keep the internet free and the bad ideas will be defeated by good arguments.

3 Likes

I agree with it being available on the internet and libraries, but I donā€™t agree with it being taught in schools as if itā€™s a valuable thing to learn as a school curriculum, it would be indoctrination and abuse, I think William F Buckley said the same thing about putting ideas about Nazism in school curriculums.

2 Likes

Of course CRT should not be banned. It should be displayed as a particularly revolting exhibit in the history of evil ideas on the same shelf as ā€œMein Kampfā€.

But it should not be taught in public schools and universities and forced on to employees in corporations or the military or the police - or anyone.

3 Likes

But they DEM(on)S ARE teaching CRT - even to very young children

4 Likes

I agree that it shouldnā€™t be banned the way they ban us, but should not be promoted by the government, especially in public schools (if they must exist - I think public school itself should be banned).

2 Likes

One of the problems with trying to have a useful debate on Twitter is that you have this ridiculous limit on the number of words. Is Raheem talking about banning it altogether and burning all the books, or is he talking about banning it in schools and universities and if so is he talking about public schools/universities only?

We atheists might apply all the same arguments to the teaching of religions in schools (itā€™s indoctrination of bad ideas etc.), but are we going to call for a ban on teaching of religion in all private schools (I donā€™t think weā€™d get very far with that :slightly_smiling_face:)?

2 Likes

Agree with most on this. Should never be BANNED, of course. It should NOT, However, EVER EVER EVER Be Pushed by the Government or any other Power Structure, the SAME as we are NOT supposed to Indoctrinate with ANY such things, including Religions. EVER. We Teach ā€œABOUTā€ Them All, EQUALLY. At th Age appropriate Times, which should be the Higher Grades, anyway.

The BEST example of Free Speech, American Style, and the absolutely CORRECT version, IMO, is what many younger folks have never heard of, which is SAD. It SHOULD have been taught, and WAS, when I was in school, and it had just happened, then- Skokie Illinois. I forget the exact date now, but itā€™s easily searched.

Actual self identified JEWISH Lawyers, Defending the Rights of ACTUAL, self identified, American Nazi Party, NAZIS, RIGHTS TO SPEAK.

THAT IS FREE SPEECH.
For those who may not understand, let me give a brief and pointed explanation as to WHY that was Vitally, Defend to the Death,Absolutely THE Hill to Die On, Important-

Without Free Speech of THAT Level of Tolerance- THIS is What inevitably happens, every single time it has been tried by Authoritarian Regimes of all stripes:

TODAY, YOU ā€˜Hateā€™ Nazis, and EVERYONE Thinks you are 1000% THE BEST EVER, and WANT To Hear Every Word You Say.

TOMORROW, YOU have Angered the Mob, or Whomever are the Powers that BE, and NOW- YOU ARE THE ā€œNAZIā€, And SILENCED.

Thatā€™s it in a Nutshell.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a never ending battle - tolerating the intolerant, through the civilized means of free speech and debate, until they cheat their way into power through corruption, lies, and propaganda, and then silence all free speech and debate.

3 Likes

And THATS the Part that bothers me, too. We HAVE to get some level of control back from these oligarchs before the gun is the only option left. And I can toss a coin every day as to whether I think we are actually AT that point, yet, or not. T doubt few would argue we are far far closer that we should be, or have been, since the 1860s, or even the considerable less,but deadly, still, 1960s. Time will tellā€¦ As angry as I am most days, Iā€™d still rather sit in warmth and comfort, and not have to take a chance of dying cold and miserable, especially considering my odds at this point in the Game. My first combat patrol will likely have to be to a drugstore, to get enough drugs to keep my old ass out there, hahahahaā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly. Why canā€™t the people we elected just do their damn jobs???

3 Likes

Public SERVICE was never intended to even BE a Paid Job, like other normal Jobs. It was originally only ā€˜paidā€™ thru living quarters and living stipends, Basically, Room and Board, with a little spending money for normal needs. And even then, because of the Power, many wanted those positions, but FAR fewer, and there was far less power to be close to back in those days, too. FAR easier to Watchdog for corruption, and the majority carried out their Duties in the Spirit it was meant, as a Representative of We The People. Certainly any official Office can be leveraged, but it is a far better solution than what we have collectively let it become now, Career Politics and Get Rich Quick Schemes.

2 Likes

Yes, we at least need term limitsā€¦

3 Likes