Jordan Peterson’s messages to Muslims

I just discovered this video, what are you thoughts on this?

1 Like

It sounds as if he has developed a messiah complex and now thinks that he can heal the divisions in the Muslim world. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Well, I guess there might be some Muslims who will be influenced by this, since he apparently is gaining a following among them.
It’s a good try, at least. But good luck with that, as he is probably spitting into the wind.

2 Likes

He misses the fundamental point that islam doctrinally loathes Christians, Jews, and other unbelievers. One cannot be a faithful follower of the Koran without accepting this animosity. An implacable animosity.

4 Likes

Right. He’s really saying (without saying it) that if they could just get beyond taking their religion seriously, they could resolve their animosities.

2 Likes
1 Like

Oh dear, oh dear! Peterson’s celebrity has gone to his head. He has become the Wise Man On The Mountain. From his height he utters Hallmark Card sentiments in the vocabulary of the academic.

Thanks for bringing it to us, Yazmin. We might have missed it otherwise. And it is awfully bad. It needs to be known.

What he implies is nothing more profound or useful than an embroidered motto reading: “Birds in their little nests agree” or “Why can’t we all just get along together?” What he assumes is that centuries of bitter strife can be cancelled in a moment: “The bones of contention are of no account, are nothing that can’t be settled if you just bring yourselves to kiss and make up. Get a pen-friend among the enemy. We are all brothers and sisters.”

Peterson has said many brilliant things. He has also said many absurd things. He is a profound thinker, and yet he is a mystic. And in this video he sounds like an Agony Aunt with a weekly column in a small town newspaper.

I deduce from his address to Muslims that he has no idea how very many divisions there are in Islam. He seems to think the only difference is between Sunni and Shia.

Will he next address the political Left and Right? “C’mon, people! Shake hands. Love one another.” Sure, mere good will can reconcile even the fire and the fire engine!

Trite, foolish, shallow, conceited preaching from a man who is deeply serious and well-intentioned. I shake my head. I am very sorry he has come to this.

4 Likes

Just stop fighting and bickering, we don’t care what you do to your women and girls. We don’t care if you value your hound over that person in your way…run him down, for all we care. Just stop fighting among yourselves, pull together. Who knows what you might be able to overcome. The Big Satan? The Little Satan? And what peace will come into your hearts as you work as one brotherhood of the Book.

Peterson doesn’t make eye contact with whomever he is addressing in this video. He wears a perpetual frown in a wrinkled forehead. And…I don’t trust a man that stacks his apparently bought vacuum-packed and perfect firewood in his house so that it seems more of a decoration than used for heating purposes.

I have appreciated a lot of what Peterson has said. This is bizarre, yet, I am supposing that it was made during that hopeful time of Trump’s working of the Abraham Accords, and Peterson figured, what the heck, its worth a try. I bet they laughed all the way to the beheading ceremony.

I couldn’t watch it all the way through…

4 Likes

An “Agony Aunt” - perfect description!
The reasoned rebuttal by the guy on Bare Naked Islam juxtaposed with Peterson’s “Hallmark Card sentiments”, as you so aptly put it, really makes his lack of understanding of the issues glaringly obvious.

4 Likes

Muslims don’t value dogs though, because Mohammed regarded them as unclean. It’s consequently been a feature of “Sharia patrols” in big cities in Europe that they harass dog walkers:

A “dog petting” event in Malaysia caused a storm of controversy:

Syed Azmi Alhabshi has been labeled a heretic, a closet Christian, a Zionist spy or even a Shiite Muslim. His crime? Inviting other Muslims to touch a dog.

4 Likes

“…aimed at helping Muslims overcome a religious stigma…” That sounds about as pointless as Peterson’s well intentioned but misinformed lecture.

4 Likes

Well, I started to write “horse” but didn’t think they would run over a horse… :slight_smile:

4 Likes