"Inequities in Chemistry"?

Edited Quote:
Rice University is now offering a class called “Afrochemistry" with the intention of explaining alleged “inequities in chemistry and chemical education". [!]
It will be taught from January 8th to April 19th, 2024. It has no final exam.
“Students will apply chemical tools and analysis to understand Black life in the U.S. and students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry,” the course description states. “Diverse historical and contemporary scientists, intellectuals, and chemical discoveries will inform personal reflections and proposals for addressing inequities in chemistry and chemical education. This course will be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds including STEM and non-STEM disciplines. No prior knowledge of chemistry or African American studies is required for engagement in this course.”
The announcement led to backlash and mockery from academics and others, lamenting the latest example of politics and racial identity infiltrating a subject that has nothing to do with either.
Such classes are beginning to appear almost everywhere and are getting support and encouragement from the scientific establishment.

3 Likes

What a farce. Booker T. Washington is probably rolling in his grave.
I guess next they’ll have a course in African voodoo rituals and call that “science”.

2 Likes

Chemistry For Dummies

2 Likes

That sounds like a mixed message, in need of some clarification. Especially “and are getting support and encouragement from the scientific establishment.” Who’s mocking it, and who’s supporting it despite the mockery? (To put my question in context, I haven’t read the article yet.)

2 Likes

The “support and encouragement” is probably from the Marxists (or those they’ve bribed or blackmailed) already in the system.
Those mocking it will probably be the next to get canned…

1 Like