Elizabeth the Great

Elizabeth II was queen of 56 countries, 2.4 billion people.

That’s about 31 percent - nearly a third - of the population of the world. A billion more than the population of China. Far more than any other head of state now or ever.

94% of them live in Africa or Asia.

Queen Elizabeth did not think of herself as ruling over them, even figuratively. She thought and spoke of serving them. “I SERVE” was her personal motto.

It should be the motto and description of every government head and official, including and especially those who wield effective power.

The British Commonwealth of Nations

3 Likes

I am currently reading an old book, which I bought years ago at a library sale. It was written by Lilibet’s governess, Crawfie (Miss Crawford) and is entitled “The Little Princesses.”

It is a delight and I am often laughing, but mostly it brings such a wonderful understanding of the woman that Lilibet grew to be, of her personality, her attitude about her duty, her strength and dignity even when a small child…and her great love of horses. Also it is about her parents, who tried to give their children a quiet and normal childhood as much as was possible. A childhood that was shattered when her Poppa became king.

I have grown even more fond of Elizabeth.

There was a recent bit on the struggle to get Lilibet and Margaret to stop biting their nails. Upon going out somewhere, they and Crawfie got to view Mr. Chamberlain in public “gnawing away at his fingers” which greatly diminished the idea of the girls having to stop gnawing at theirs. After all, if the PM could do it unto adulthood, why couldn’t they?

2 Likes

I am so glad that at least one other conservative on this forum has expressed fondness for Queen Elizabeth.

Our British and Commmonwealth members have said nothing about her death. Or her life.

2 Likes