Despair is in Fashion

Here are a few sites that discuss non-European civilizations and their contributions to humanity by non-white native peoples.

https://www.history.com/news/native-american-inventions

https://www.history.com/news/first-earliest-human-civilizations

The one site includes Greeks and Romans, but of interest to this discussion are the earlier civilizations, which were not European or white-skinned.

As for the primitive…by our standards…natives of Australia, South America, New Zealand and Africa, their contributions are more likely to be manual tools (boomerang, blowguns) or medicinal treatments (natural based pain-killers, poisons, hallucinogenics).

The Bushmen? Perhaps their best gift to humanity was to remind us how little is actually needed for success and happiness.

1 Like

You think the boomerang and blowgun have been significant contributions to civilization? They have done much for us? The blowgun is invented in every generation by millions of little boys everywhere in the form of the pea-shooter. It is not significant.

Are we often cured by such “medicinal treatments”?

If the Bushmen’s success is sheer survival as a people, you have a point. But as individuals they do not survive long. “About 50 percent of their children die before they are 15, and 20 percent die in their first year. Life expectancy is estimated between 40 and 50 years.” As to their happiness, how do you know if they are happy?

The discussion is not about ancient civilizations. Many of them were highly achieving.

Come on, Jeanne (to quote the sage Joe Biden).Why do you want to argue against me on this point? I stated a fact: some peoples have not made significant contributions. Why is my statement of the fact “outrageous”? Why do you seek to disprove it? I am not saying that those peoples are contemptible, or to be treated with less respect than others.

It is surely interesting that in the same length of time some peoples have learnt how to fly to the moon while others have remained as they were tens of thousands of years ago.

Does my stating that outrage you?

1 Like

Yes, I do. Do you think the primitive peoples just stumbled over the design and never improved upon it? Do you think such design did not contribute to other more advanced thinking? Humans build on the designs of those that invented before them.

Think about this:

A boomerang is an example of gyroscopic precession. The boomerang throw gives it angular momentum. This angular momentum is caused to precess by the fact that the top edge is traveling faster with respect to the air and gets more lift.

Hmmm…what modern application might that have influenced?

The poison used in blowguns on the darts was an important addition, and the darts themselves were improved from the initial “pea.” How long should the tube be to effect the best range?

You don’t see these simple inventions as important to later developments?

And, yes, many modern medicines developed because of a search for the results of natural medicines in modern chemistry to make it more available and at a lower cost.

How long must one live to consider that a happy and successful life has been had? Bushmen have not moved into modernity at all, and would they have done better if we hadn’t either?

Oh no, Jillian, the discussion is about your statement that “some “skin colors” have not achieved anything significant, have made no contribution to the human race.”

It was not about time periods, but about “skin colors” of people not making any contribution to humanity. You implied that those contributions were made by European light-skinned people before and only by other peoples since “European explorers found them.”

It has always amazed me that American Indians did not invent the wheel, but does that mean their “significant” contributions were unworthy and insignificant?

Would modern humans have invented the rocket ship without the simpler inventions and significant contributions of those before, most of whom were dark skinned and not European?

Perhaps current primitive peoples do not want to do more than live without abandoning their traditional ways, and have no desire to fly rockets to the moon, only to hunt with their aerodynamic and specifically crafted weapons.

I guess it was the word “outrageous” that charged you up so much, but it seemed to me to be Eurocentric thinking at the moment.

2 Likes

Dark-skinned peoples have made hugely important contributions. Very significant indeed, the ZERO comes from India.

As for the rest of what you’re saying, my only comment can be “Pfui!”

1 Like

Now I should be outraged that you are accusing me of color prejudice.

I would have thought you knew enough about me by now to know how unlikely that is.

1 Like

No, you should re-examine your post. What you wrote is an example of Eurocentric thinking. And failing to understand how simple, even primitive, inventions are at the time they are adopted have a significant impact upon those people, those times…and the invention migrates to other peoples rather quickly when the impact is truly significant.

I know that you have no color prejudice, but you slipped into it by thinking that only those inventions and contributions that have benefited our modern times or even ancient civilizations (Egypt, Rome) have been significant contributions to humanity and you wrote that way. Humanity builds upon the contributions of all human history and all have been significant.

Peoples that invented the plow were not European or white-skinned, and how humans built upon that simple, primitive contribution has led us first to an ability to grow more and to modern agriculture.

You are not prejudice against non-white people, Jillian, and I did not accuse you of that. Forgive me, if I implied that you are.

2 Likes

I lack the energy to explain how you are wrong, how your argument does not make sense. Also I see no point in trying to convince you. I strongly doubt that even if I took the trouble to explain, you would not budge an inch.

So rest with your belief. You like it, so you will keep it.

2 Likes

That is exactly the way I feel. The great thing about a forum for civil discourse is that disagreements are not the end of the world.

You will always be my friend, Jillian…no matter what.

1 Like

We began losing our herd immunity to communism around 1969. Up until that time, it had been fairly robust in the general body politic. Since then, we’ve been morally browbeaten by the left to “Be more tolerant!” (and then “multicultural”, “diverse”, “inclusive”).

3 Likes

Jeanne, I think you would be interested in a couple of books that deal with cultural evolution as a defining aspect of human nature. The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution by Cochran and Harpending (2009) and The Secret of Our Success: How Culture Is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating Our Species, and Making Us Smarter by Joe Henrich (2015). This aspect of our human nature - its dual (organic and cultural) evolutionary nature - ought to be more widely and better understood.

https://www.amazon.com/000-Year-Explosion-Civilization-Accelerated/dp/0465002218/ref=monarch_sidesheet

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Our-Success-Evolution-Domesticating/dp/0691166854/ref=monarch_sidesheet

2 Likes

2 Likes

So they both “transgendered”?

2 Likes

That’s a great description of it - “herd immunity to communism” - which, as you say, we did begin to lose then, and are almost completely debilitated by now.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as transgendering or changing your biological sex. What is called those things is only cosmetic surgery and/or hormone manipulation. And we now see that what used to be called mere transvestism (cross-dressing) also qualifies as transgender. All, I think, to steepen the incline towards actual hormonal and surgical operations. - Thus Spoke Zerothruster.

4 Likes

Next, organized mass suicides?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t doubt that at all. Give it a few years, till all the children who’ve been “transitioned” by their delusional parents or teachers wake up to reality, and it will end in either mass murder, mass suicide, or both…

1 Like

The radicals will promote in their agenda any cause that has the effect of decreasing fertility. From feminism to abortion to homosexual lifestyle to transgendering, etc. Things also like MGTOW - Men Going Their Own Way should be suspect in that connection. Did I leave out anything?

2 Likes

Oh, I left out covid vaccines.

2 Likes

And freely wandering murderers, arsonists, rapists, drug traffickers.

And inflation. And food shortages. And under-qualified doctors and pilots. And the decay of cities with filthy streets occupied by loonies and drug-addicts.

And electricity outages. And no gas for heating and cooling homes. And real pollution of water and air resulting from, for instance, train crashes.

And bank failures.

What else should we expect from a corrupt and senile president with a cabinet of lubricious and incompetent freaks, crooks, idiots, exhibitionists, commies, and China’s lackeys?

3 Likes

We should remember this about male to female behavior:

Autogynephilia is defined as a male’s propensity to be sexually aroused by the thought of himself as a female. It is the paraphilia that is theorized to underlie transvestism and some forms of male-to-female (MtF) transsexualism. Autogynephilia encompasses sexual arousal with cross-dressing and cross-gender expression that does not involve women’s clothing per se. The concept of autogynephilia defines a typology of MtF transsexualism and offers a theory of motivation for one type of MtF transsexualism. Autogynephilia resembles a sexual orientation in that it involves elements of idealization and attachment as well as erotic desire. Nearly 3% of men in Western countries may experience autogynephilia; its most severe manifestation, MtF transsexualism, is rare but increasing in prevalence. Some theorists and clinicians reject the transsexual typology and theory of motivation derived from autogynephilia; their objections suggest a need for additional research. The concept of autogynephilia can assist clinicians in understanding some otherwise puzzling manifestations of nonhomosexual MtF transsexualism. Autogynephilia exemplifies an unusual paraphilic category called ‘erotic target identity inversions’, in which men desire to impersonate or turn their bodies into facsimiles of the persons or things to which they are sexually attracted.

From: Autogynephilia: an underappreciated paraphilia - PubMed

1 Like