Cold Fusion, now called LENR

This video is fairly simple to follow, even if you don’t know much about nuclear physics. I think the motto is “science without all the gobbledegook.” Also humour from a straight-faced scientist. I liked it, and I understand that there is a problem, but quantum computers may help solve it.

3 Likes

I hadn’t seen Sabine Hossenfelder’s Science Without the Gobbledegook, but I knew of her from another blog spot that’s she’s had since 2006, which is BackReaction. ( http://backreaction.blogspot.com/ ).

Two weeks ago I saw something related to nuclear fusion on Axios – titled “Nuclear fusion breakthrough reportedly arrives”. What I could gather from it seems like it was a bit of fake news promoted by Jennifer Granholm at Biden’s Department of Energy – perhaps to lure more people onto the anti-fossil fuels bandwagon. The article included these caveats…

Reality check: Progress in showing conceptual viability would be just one stop on the long scientific, technical and financial road to commercializing this long-elusive holy grail.

What’s next: Granholm’s announcement tomorrow is billed as a “major scientific breakthrough.”

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/12/nuclear-fusion-energy-breakthrough

3 Likes

I tried to follow this for awhile, but I’m afraid that, scientifically or mathematically, I’m a lost cause. Even without the “gobbledygook”!

2 Likes

You are trying to understand it too much, Liz. I have enjoyed several of her videos, even thought I might only get the gist of the discussion. :upside_down_face:

Apparently the biggest threat to humanity, short of a world nuclear war, is super volcanoes, of which there are a 12 (I think), which may occur in the next 100,000 years. What me, worry? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes, super volcanoes - and we’re supposed to worry about “man-made” climate change?
I heard a couple of months ago that a volcano has erupted somewhere in South America, which is already affecting the climate. But we have idiots up here who, completely oblivious to that, are busy shooting particles into the atmosphere to deflect the suns rays and prevent global warming!

2 Likes

I have enough scientific background that I was able to follow along quite well. Thanks fot posting this.

3 Likes