Churchill on Roman Britain

For a change of pace:

“For nearly three hundred years Britain, reconciled to the Roman system, enjoyed in many respects the happiest, most comfortable, and most enlightened times its inhabitants have had.”

“In this period, almost equal to that which separates us from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, well-to-do persons in Britain lived better than they ever did until late Victorian times. From the year 400 till the year 1900 no one had central heating and very few had hot baths. A wealthy British-Roman citizen building a country house regarded the hypocaust which warmed it as indispensable. For fifteen hundred years his descendants lived in the cold of unheated dwellings, mitigated by occasional roasting at gigantic wasteful fires. As for baths, they were completely lost till the middle of the nineteenth century. In all this long, bleak intervening gap cold and dirt clung to the most fortunate and highest in the land. In culture and learning Britain was a pale reflection of the Roman scene, not so lively as the Gallic. But there was law; there was order; there was peace; there was warmth; there was food, and a long-established custom of life. The population was free from barbarism without being sunk in sloth or luxury. Some culture spread even to the villages. Roman habits percolated; the use of Roman utensils and even of Roman speech steadily grew.”

“We owe London to Rome. The military engineers of Claudius, the bureaucracy which directed the supply of the armies, the merchants who followed in their wake, brought it into a life not yet stilled.”

(from “A History of the English-Speaking Peoples Collection: A One-Volume Abridgment by Christopher Lee” by Winston S. Churchill)

2 Likes

Thank you, Cogito.

Churchill was a great man, a fine writer.

I like what he’s saying here. Just one thing bothers me:

“For fifteen hundred years his descendants lived in the cold of unheated dwellings, mitigated by occasional roasting at gigantic wasteful fires. … In all this long, bleak intervening gap cold and dirt clung to the most fortunate and highest in the land. In culture and learning Britain was a pale reflection of the Roman scene … But there was law; there was order; there was peace; there was warmth…”

Which did they live in, cold or warmth?

1 Like

A perspicacious question, for which I have no answer!

2 Likes

Great fun!

1 Like

I’m guessing that “from 400 till 1900” was not the same period as the “nearly 300 years” of its “happiest times” that he starts off talking about.
Those must have come before the rest?
Anyway, so interesting, what a contrast!

1 Like

I see your point. I think you are right.

W. C. could have made his meaning clearer. But perhaps the fault lies with Christopher Lee - maybe he cut out a bit that ought to have been left in.

1 Like

I think the fault lies with Cogito. The first paragraph I cut and pasted from an earlier page. Poor editing on my part. I thought I’d delve into Churchill again. What a joy to read.

2 Likes

You confess and are shriven, dear Cogito!

1 Like

Gratia tibi. Absolutus sum.

1 Like