Can we assess Trump's covid record?

I believe this to be a fair and convincing condemnation of Mr. Trump’s handling of covid.

1 Like

It’s true that Trump made a huge mistake listening to Fauci. Also a mistake to think that vaccines could be made in “warp speed”.
But you have to take into account that at the beginning, no-one (except the perpetrators) knew how deadly the virus was. The whole thing was calculated to de-rail Trumps re-election, and many of us suspected that from the outset, but he still couldn’t risk not taking precautions.
And of course, now he doesn’t want to show weakness by admitting he made mistakes.
But he accomplished so much good in the first three years of his presidency, he can be forgiven for that.

1 Like

I agree with most of what you say, Liz. However, the wreckage of the lockdown, masks, and vaccines is probably incalculable. This could have been avoided as it was in such countries as Sweden or as in such states as Florida, if Trump had shown good judgment and leadership. There were many other supremely qualified virologists, immunologists, and epidemiologists that Trump could have turned to, but he didn’t. When a man makes a mistake, he ought to apologize, but the maddening thing here, is that Trump still doesn’t see his actions as being mistaken. I find this very troubling.

1 Like

I have to admit, I agree - it was a mistake of epic proportions, resulting in incalculably disastrous consequences. His refusal to admit that hurts him.
But you also have to recognize that if you allow that mistake to turn you against him, you’re playing right into our enemy’s hands, and they win.
That’s exactly why they did it - to destroy his reputation (not to mention the country), and his chances of being re-elected.
Their guilt, as the perpetrators, is so much greater!
They need to be brought to justice, but that will only happen if we can somehow win the next election.
Of course it all hinges on overcoming election fraud, but beyond that, it depends on Trump, who, as in '16, is the only one with the momentum to win. Those running against him in the primaries only serve the enemy’s agenda to divide and weaken our opposition.

1 Like

I am not turning against him. He is a remarkable with a remarkable record of achievement. He is sui generis.

2 Likes