Anti-White Racism Ruins Medical Science

Selected Quotes:
Medical education, medical research, and standards of competence have been upended by two related hypotheses: that systemic racism is responsible both for racial disparities in the demographics of the medical profession and for racial disparities in health outcomes. Questioning those hypotheses is professionally suicidal. Vast sums of public and private research funding are being redirected from basic science to political projects aimed at dismantling white supremacy. The result will be declining quality of medical care and a curtailment of scientific progress.
Virtually every major medical organization—from the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) to the American Association of Pediatrics—has embraced the idea that medicine is an inequity-producing enterprise. The AMA’s 2021 Organizational Strategic Plan to Embed Racial Justice and Advance Health Equity is virtually indistinguishable from a black studies department’s mission statement.
According to medical and STEM leaders, to be white is to be per se racist; apologies and reparations for that offending trait are now de rigueur. In June 2020, Nature identified itself as one of the culpably “white institutions that is responsible for bias in research and scholarship". In January 2021, the editor-in-chief of Health Affairs lamented that “our own staff and leadership are overwhelmingly white". The AMA’s strategic plan blames “white male lawmakers” for America’s systemic racism.
And so medical schools and medical societies are discarding traditional standards of merit in order to alter the demographic characteristics of their profession.
According to the AAMC, newly minted doctors must display “knowledge of the intersectionality of a patient’s multiple identities and how each identity may present varied and multiple forms of oppression or privilege related to clinical decisions and practice". Faculty are responsible for teaching how to engage with “systems of power, privilege, and oppression” in order to “disrupt oppressive practices". Failure to comply with these requirements could put a medical school’s accreditation status at risk and lead to a school’s closure.
But being indoctrinated in “intersectionality” does nothing to improve a student’s clinical knowledge. Every moment spent regurgitating social-justice jargon is time not spent learning how to keep someone alive whose body has just been shattered in a car crash. Advocates of antiracism training never explain how fluency in intersectional critique improves the interpretation of an MRI or the proper prescribing of drugs.
A UCLA doctor says that the smartest undergraduates in the school’s science labs are saying: “Now that I see what is happening in medicine, I will do something else.”
Funding that once went to scientific research is now being redirected to diversity cultivation. The NIH and the National Science Foundation are diverting billions in taxpayer dollars from trying to cure Alzheimer’s disease and lymphoma to fighting white privilege and cisheteronormativity.
Private research support is following the same trajectory.
The proponents of the systemic racism hypotheses are making a large bet with potentially lethal consequences. In accordance with the idea that racism causes racial health disparities, they are changing the direction of medical research, the composition of medical faculty, the curriculum of medical schools, the criteria for hiring researchers and for publishing research, and the standards for assessing professional excellence. They are substituting training in political advocacy for training in basic science. They are taking doctors out of the classroom, clinic, and lab and parking them in front of antiracism lecturers. Their preferential policies discourage individuals from pariah groups from going into medicine, regardless of their scientific potential. They have shifted billions of dollars from the investigation of pathophysiology to the production of tracts on microaggressions.

Comment:
Please read it all. And if you have a life-threatening disease … despair!

6 Likes

Ah, Heather MacDonald, yes I will read it thoroughly and get back to you. As if aspiring medical doctors, NPs and RNs didn’t have enough crap to deal with in their schooling and later in their practice.

5 Likes

I’ve never experienced any disparities in my treatment, that I know of. I don’t need my PCP to know about microaggressions or other non-essential information when it comes to reading my bloodwork or listening to my heart, etc. I don’t care if it’s a black, white, or Indian doctor, just make sure I’m healthy and send me on my way. A lot of this also has to do with personal accountability; you can’t eat 5 salty pork chops smothered in gravy with a side of macaroni and cheese with greens with pork in it daily, drink Pepsi all day, never exercise and expect the doctor to not tell to tell you that you’re severely unhealthy because that’s not understanding of your “culture” or is racist.

6 Likes

Great point!

5 Likes