A Modest Proposal

I would like to propose a couple of ideas for things that members of this forum could do to advance the conservative cause. I would be grateful for comments and criticisms.

First, some background:

(1) We’re in big trouble. The assault on Western Civilization is unremitting, and takes place at many levels: from opening us up to massive Third World immigration, to the sexualization of children in our schools. The ‘woke’ Left has succeeded in capturing most of the ‘intelligentsia’ – journalists, lawyers, professors, teachers, NGO employees, government employees – and making its political views seem to be just basic moral views. Thus the Orwellian language of ‘gender-affirming care’, which means slicing off body parts from children with mental problems.

(2) Most conservatives are passive observers of this process. They hate it, they vote for the lesser evil (or even for a positive good) on election day … they might contribute to various good causes… but that’s it.

This is not some moral failing on their part. In a normal society, government would just provide a minimal framework – defense, police, perhaps infrastructure maintenance, perhaps compolsory insurance programs – allowing us to get on with our private lives. Elections would be for the purpose of choosing the most competent people to administerd things, or would be contests over issues that were not existential – whether to fund a new highway program. We could largely ignore politics. Even if our side lost an election, it wouldn’t be a catastrophe. (When JFK beat Nixon in1962, it still meant putting a patriot into the White House.)

Conservatives who are active on the internet – like the good people who post on this forum – are a partial exception to this rule. They’re clearly concerned about what’s happening, are more knowledgeable than most about it, and are moved at least to talk about with like thinkers.

But just reading and writing about the depradations of the Left, in and of itself, does little to stop them. It’s a good thing to do, because it means we have taken the first step to effective opposition – we’ve linked up with like-minded people.

(3) There are things that even a small group of people can do, that could help in the fight against the destruction of our country (and of Western civilization)… Here is one of them:

Background: most conservatives are religious, and most non-conservatives are not. We’re an exception. The details of this difference suggest something we might do:

[A] Not only are most non-conservatives non-religious, but most actively secular groups – like the Center For Inquiry in the US – are reflexively progressive/liberal. However … there are two kinds of liberals/progressives
---- : **[1] **ones who have bought into, or are afraid to oppose, the ‘woke’ craziness and ‘post-modernism’…
---- [2] Those who have not, who still believe in Free Speech, and who are committed to reason, believing in an objective reality.

A split is now opening up among these people. In Germany, it has gotten quite severe.

My proposal, which I won’t give details of at the moment, is this: we can help open up this divide, and pull some of the pro-Reason, pro-Free Speech people towards us.

If anyone is interested in how this might be done, we can discuss it further. Some of the details shouldn’t be made public, however.

[B] A large proportion of American conservatives consider themselves ‘Christian Nationalists’ – in the 2017 Baylor Survey of Religion, about 28% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed with the statement, The federal government should declare the United States as a Christian nation.

We may assume that virtually all of these people were conservtives, which means that the great majority of conservatives (about a third of the country) agree with it.

This is not only unconstitutional, but extremely stupid, as – just like the phrase “Christian nationalism” it will win no one to our side, and repel a great many.

We should undertake a campaign to persuade our theistic friends that “Christian nationalism”, especially if it manifests itself as a desire to make Christianity ‘official’ – is self-defeating idea.

So there you have it: I’m proposing that we start doing some things on the internet to (1) Weaken the Left by pulling some of its members towards us and (2) strengthen our side by persuading our Chrstian co-thinkers that “Christian nationalism” is an idea that can only make us weaker.

Doing this would require those who wish to undertake it, to spend fifteen or twenty minutes on the internet, several days a week.

Doing what exactly? I’ll lay out some ideas, and solicit others, IF people think this is worth talking about.

If you think it’s mad, or not your cup of tea, I won’t take if any furher.

1 Like

Until you specify the activities you have in mind, George, no one can say whether they will or won’t perform them, or whether they think your strategy will work, or even whether they share your aim.

1 Like