A Laugh in the Midst of the Battle between Good and Evil

I quote (in italics) from an article by John Daniel Davidson at the Federalist:

In America and in the West generally, the side of the Tao is the side of faithful Christians and Jews, as well as those atheists who, for practical reasons, cling to Judeo-Christian morality as the survivors of a shipwreck might cling to a lifeboat.

Oh, that mythical “Judeo-Christian morality”!

https://theatheistconservative.com/2014/08/26/against-judeo-christian-values/

And are there atheists who “cling” to it?

The writer continues:

It is the side that sees [the] transing of kids as an intolerable moral evil, affirms the givenness of our nature and the created order, and recognizes not only that man isn’t God, but that man’s destiny is communion with God in a redeemed creation.

On the other side is … the Machine, which at its root is a Nietzschean rebellion against God that turns out also to be a rebellion against everything: roots, culture, community, families, biology itself.

We err in thinking of all this as just a really bad case of “the culture war” that breaks along the familiar lines of left and right, blue and red. It’s partly that, but at its deepest level it’s a religious war, a spiritual struggle between light and darkness, good and evil, the Tao and the Machine.

Well, yes, the “transgendering” of children is evil. To oppose it is good. Corporations that promote it should be boycotted, ideally to bankruptcy.

Yes, the political struggle is between good and evil. In his mind, it is therefore a religious struggle.

Corporate America is not going to stop, even if some corporations do go broke. What will be required of those who resist them is a deep religious commitment, a radical new way of living in the modern, digital age. If you’re a Jew, be deeply serious about your Judaism. If you’re a Christian, make the practice of your faith the central organizing fact of your life, not just something you do on Sundays. If you’re an atheist, pray that God gives you faith.

“If you’re an atheist, pray that God gives you faith.”

I laughed aloud. It made my day.

1 Like

It makes me not so much laugh as sigh in frustration. As always with the religious, everything must be made to fit into a spiritual framework.
It’s a “spiritual battle”, and you’re either on the side of faith, or you’re part of the problem. They cannot fathom that good and evil could exist without God and the Devil animating them.
Which makes atheists who are on their side in the battle rather problematic for them.

1 Like