A Great Hunger Coming

Well, you have been saying it is critical, that America may be at its end, that China has plans, that the WEF has plans that are being brought to fruition…and which may be delayed enough by the election of Trump to the presidency, so that the US can crawl back.

You have presented the poor harvest, the unrest in cities, the danger of the Left’s coordinated days of rage, the militarization of government entities and the stealing of property and property rights, including private monies, which are being devalued by the day.

Yes? So why would it be “actions of despair” to prepare and not simply actions of the hope of surviving hard times, whatever they may be or whenever they may come?

We always wanted to be prepared, but when Obama was elected we kicked it into overdrive as we saw more and more the signs of “the fundamental transformation of the USA.” Virgil’s family lived without electricity and running water until he was 10 or so. His mother preserved food, canning, salting, curing, using root kilns. I started canning in 2010. We don’t have to go off the farm for anything for many months (unless we want fresh milk, fruit and vegetables) if we don’t want to. If the electricity goes for good, then we must adjust the frozen foods for canning or have a block party, but that is not a big dent in our plans, except for the butter, which can be canned. I am switching to more canning of the venison, rather than freezing. Chicken breasts can very well and meat with broth makes good soup base.

And…it is hard to get the kids on board, but they do at least have freezers and pantries that they fill with non-perishable food, and clothes and shoes ahead for their kids. So, we prepare for them, too. Our medicine closet contains pill forms of kids’ OTC meds. Prescription meds are trickier, but except for one drug, we have stocked up about a year’s worth and, of course, we rotate all meds to use the oldest first.

It is the old way of living, save and reuse, patch or make patches, never throw something away that may be needed later. The kids often come to me with, “Do you happen to have…?” And, I usually do. Or, “Dad, I need a way to fix this or do this,” and he can help them.

Will we have to endure a Depression? Will we have a failure of civility? Will we lose electricity for good or have totally unreliable power for long periods of time? I don’t know, but the future doesn’t look bright, and if lose the dollar as a major trade unit, if we lose to the Left, if we have a war…I would rather have what I need than not. I would rather have bought goods and supplies now, than have lots of worthless money to try and buy what little is available.

I don’t know what the majority of people are doing. I know lots of Americans are doing this at least somewhat. I know that lots of people don’t have a week’s worth of food or supplies in their homes, and many depend on going to the store everyday and haven’t given a thought to getting through a week on their supplies at home.

That’s all, Jillian, we want to be able to get through hard times with what we have already stocked, if we had to. That is being prepared, that is being unafraid, that is hope for our family’s survival and safety in bad situations.

Edit:
What am I saying?! I started canning way before 2010, good grief! Time goes by when you are busy all the time. I think it was maybe in the mid to late 1990s.

3 Likes

And you will surely buy a cow so you have your own fresh milk, plant some fruit trees, start a vegetable garden?

Do you have an electricity generator?

You have your own water boreholes, or a river?

2 Likes

We have goats, 3 orchards of different ages, we garden, we have a very large stand alone generator that hooks to our house, our chicken houses, our large shed, a garage and shop. We have a stream and several wells. If the shit hits the fan, we will have laying hens.

Is this okay with you? What do you have in your refrigerator and cupboards and medicine cabinet? Or will you depend upon the government and the kindness of your family…or neighbors…or strangers?

I fail to understand how our prepping is considered by you or by anyone else to be a foolish endeavor of despair. Why is being more self-sufficient something to be laughed at?

Apparently, you find our plans to get through hard times, or worse than hard times, something to make fun of since you belittle any intelligence that you may have thought I had.

I do so appreciate that, Jillian, especially when my post was sincere. I am embarrassed to have shared my concerns with you.

2 Likes

Where or when have I said or suggested that your prepping is a foolish endeavor? (I have thought and might have said that laying in stores for conditions that could last for centuries is very optimistic.)

How am I making fun of your endeavor? You said you needed to buy milk, fruit and vegetables. I was a little surprised at that.

I believe you are sincere.

I have more questions. Not to mock you but to know the answers:

Are the children in your family being home-schooled? Can you protect them from compulsory “transgendering”?

Do you have plans to protect and save Virgil when the FBI-Stasi come for him because he stood for public office as a Republican?

Do you believe that single families with land and preparations will be able to carry on in a country (and
world) that will not tolerate individual enterprise - or private property, or families?

As for my preparations - dear Jeanne, I am 90 years old. The preparations I make are with a Will and enquiries about graves.

4 Likes

Jillian, I will take your word on it. But…I think you should read your two posts again, and understand how I read between your lines. I think that the “Oh, oh, oh!” and the “surely…” do not give the reader the idea that you are genuinely interested. Especially after you have appeared alarmed at the “great hunger coming,” yet writing that such preparations are “actions of despair.”

No, they are not being home schooled. Yes we are concerned about the trend to trans. There are a multitude of Republicans around here. They may as well come for me, too. And, all the rest, who think as we do. I think these families will fare much better than those trapped in the burning cities when a failure of civility happens. We would prefer not to become statistics.

I realize that you are much older than I, but what could you do for your children and grandchildren? I think extended family is an excellent reason to prepare for what one can. TEOTWAWKI is not necessarily the end of living, of surviving, of human beings, or of a future. Or it could just be a Depression, war time or not, or a blizzard that shuts us off from the barges on the bay (it does freeze over heavily sometimes) that deliver fuel or trucks that bring supplies to our area. That is why all our houses on the farm have wood stoves for heat or supplemental heating. We use that almost exclusively because we are home all the time, but the others don’t.

Our local schools are very, very small. The principals at each know every single child by name. It has creeped in, which is why our elected school board is under attack. The gauntlet has been thrown. We have the option of home-schooling if the mothers decide that course, but right now the children need socialization that a small school can supply, especially our PK to second grade kids. That they each have a stable and close-knit farm family involved with them offers much protection and resiliency from most unwanted trends they may encounter. The fact that our boy is thoroughly male and our girls are thoroughly female also makes us less fearful that anybody in their insane mind would even consider that they could be anything else.

We were discussing why males have nipples, even the dogs, and got into the discussion of how all fetuses begin as females and then a special chromosome clicks on and begins to change that fetus into a male with a penis and testicles. Our grandson turned to his toy trucks on the table and said to us, “You mean I was a grr…erl? That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard. You have ruined my life.” We looked at each other and tried not to laugh, and tempered the atmosphere with how both boys and girls are special in their own ways, which led to how many babies he thought his sister would have and then to what is the record for the number of babies born to a woman. It is pretty astonishing! There is a condition called hyper-ovulation and if it isn’t halted it can be a real village maker.

So, Jillian, I will answer what ever you ask. Sorry I read between your lines, but that was the vibe that came from your posts. It wouldn’t be the first time that has happened with this topic on this forum. I wonder that I am such an oddity here. I am glad that Liz took some action on preparing for life not normal. I do believe there will be sections in rural areas where families survive to their best ability.

I must believe that the “standard” will be there when we can return to it. And, I must believe that humans will adapt and survive. That is enough to hope for, and to prepare for. We would not be who we are, if we went down on the first blow.

3 Likes

I am sickened by what is happening to America. I have grandchildren and even a great-grandchild. I dread to imagine what sort of world they will be living in, if they can survive in it at all. I find nothing to be facetious about, or anything to mock at if some Americans are taking measures to survive the coming political maelstrom.

I cry “Oh, oh, oh!” whenever anything painful hits me - a memory, a prediction, a brick …

3 Likes

Well, that is one of the funniest lines ever. I will have to remember to use it when the timing is appropriate.

Never one to waste a teachable moment, let me say that this is how difficult it is to communicate by the written word only. Had I been less quick to reply to your second “awkward” post, I would have finally realized that what I thought they were implying really couldn’t be what you meant.

On the other side, had your posts been less “odd” considering the topic as it began between us, and more identifiable as sincere comments and questions, I would not have been suspicious of your intentions.

No doubt, this is how wars often get started. I strive to always be lucid in my writing, which is one reason it takes me so long. Not that your comments were not lucid; they were just abrupt, and taken all together in this thread and on this topic of my prepping overall, I jumped to a mistaken conclusion of your intent.

I apologize again, my friend. I should have known better. It is difficult to always make intent known just through the written word…no inflections, no facial cues, no “reading” of the other person’s understanding through their facial cues…difficult stuff communicating only this way. I guess that is why they invented emojis.

As for your funny line :rofl: :rofl: :upside_down_face: I still don’t know what that one means, yet I am using in often it seems.

3 Likes

Well, I have honey and stored red wheat…and those are the only things that may last for centuries, as they both have been found in Egyptian tombs and proved to still be edible or able to sprout. Home canned food does last longer than regular canned goods and the freeze dried canned stuffs are said to last 25 years, but I doubt that either will last for centuries, although it has been said that properly stored Twinkies might.

3 Likes

Amazing facts, but very useful to know. Thank you.

If I am laconic, sheer age makes me so. But I can quite often be loquacious too.

3 Likes