The anniversary of the birthday of Charles Darwin

Creator God, Adam and Eve, Cain … Wonderfully absurd! Those inventions would just be a bad joke but for the fact that millions have suffered terribly because powerful people insisted they were true and punished and destroyed those who would not swallow them. That makes them a cause of tragedy.

Why should such beliefs be seriously considered? No theology is worthy of respect. All religions need to be dismissed with scorn.

2 Likes

That’s a delightful idea.

2 Likes

All these arguments (through the Pew, BioLogos, Wikipedia links) ) are old hat and have long ago been refuted.

2 Likes

It only matters to theists that their defenses are solid and within their faith. It doesn’t matter to me or you.

I am simply reporting what Christians, who accept evolution think and have discussed with me. This works for them, and is good news, I think, that they have not closed their minds to accepting science, as some Christians do.

3 Likes

I see the merit in finding what virtue one can in the opinions of neighbors and compatriots.

To do so is kind and may generally serve intelligent self-interest.

3 Likes

Have millions suffered terribly because powerful people insisted Communism was true? Or because of anything that powerful people insisted was true?

Religion has benefited millions of people. Most Christians that I have encountered have not suffered terribly from their religion, and to the contrary, would say their lives are better for living with religious faith.

What is that to any atheist? It certainly is nothing to me. I will most certainly not condemn their faith, because at one time or another powerful people used it to the detriment of others that suffered terribly because of them.

I will condemn any harmful speech or actions to their families or community in the name of their faith. I would condemn that of any person or group and the basis for my condemnation would be that of the speech and/or actions, not on their religion or lack of it.

Yes, using religion to control and destroy people, thus removing their natural rights of individual freedom is something that happens throughout the history of humanity. Using science has done the same. Using political ideology has done the same. Greed and insanity have done the same.

To me, if people are secure and happy in their faith and living lives that would be considered normal by any notions of family normality, then I am for what works for them. Do I think that human life would be better without religion? Yes, I do. But would that help to secure ethical societies in every situation? I would like to think so, but I don’t know. This is the world in which we have to live now. Would a less religious world rid us of evil and powerful people, who seek power and control? I doubt it.

1 Like

Let me get this correct, Jillian. You are asserting that the Pew Survey on theists that accept evolution has been disproved? That there is no such thing as Theistic Evolution? And that there were and are no well-known Christians that have ever argued on accepting the science of evolution, even after involving God in the beginning of life?

That those sources I posted have all been refuted?

That seems a bit odd to me, that all would have been refuted long ago. So that was all fiction, then?

1 Like

No, I’m saying that every defense of creationism, every “proof” of the existence of a creator god, has been refuted. I don’t argue with statistics, though I don’t often trust them.

I know people believe those things.

Sorry I expressed myself poorly. I should have been clearer.

3 Likes

You can blame your cough syrup. That is what I am doing lately with this miserable head cold that is moving to my chest. :slight_smile:

I certainly hate what religious faith and zealotry has done during the course of human history to make life miserable. There is no defense for that. Evil is evil, whether or not it is spawned by religion.

There is enough evil in the world at work today, that anything and anyone that promotes the conquest of what is evil is welcomed by me.

3 Likes

I am a fan of yours, Jeanne. I admire you. As a recent immigrant I learn from you, with gratitude.

There is nothing you have written here that I would reproach you for. Even when I question an opinion of yours occasionally (as I do now, for instance, that “religion has benefitted millions of people”) 'm not trying to demolish your convictions.

If I have made you feel embattled, I apologize. It was not my intention.

I have no formula for making a better world.

3 Likes

As you qualify your statement that religion has been beneficial to millions by adding now that it has made life miserable throughout history, even about that our difference of opinion is small.

I am sorry to hear about your horrid cold. I hope it soon passes.

3 Likes

I need a “laugh out loud so much that I end up in a coughing fit” emoji, Jillian.

There is nothing that will ever alter my great opinion of you, or diminish our friendship.

This is a forum for debate and discussion and free speech. If I were intimidated or hurt by the opinions of others, I would not participate. And, I can probably beat you at arm wrestling…

Hugs.

2 Likes

I live with and among public school children. We are expecting another stomach bug this week.

Thank you for your concern. Funny thing; when schools were virtual, nobody got sick for a whole year. Out side of that time, rotating illnesses is a normal occurrence on the farm, until Summer vacation.

3 Likes

“I am for what works for them” - I agree.
For alot of people, religion is a crutch, but it’s better to walk with a crutch than to be totally crippled without it. If it keeps them from hopelessness, it’s better than nothing.
I just finished reading Mike Lindell’s biography. He was a crack addict for thirty years, then “found God”, quit drugs, and became a successful businessman.
I would never try to tell him his belief is delusional, knowing it’s likely he would relapse into addiction if he lost that crutch.

1 Like

Jillian, I am sorry that I responded with laughing and coughing at your un-needed apology. That was not the response I should have mentioned. If I seemed discourteous to your post of apology, I am so sorry.

I have just spent so many years debating people (atheists and Christians) who disagreed with me, and your part in this discussion is so far from any sort of feeling of embattlement or reproach that my immediate reaction was LOL. I should not have taken such quick action to posting that reaction. I realized later that I was discourteous to you, but only today got back online.

Hugs.

3 Likes

You were not at all discourteous. I enjoyed your response.

3 Likes

Okie Dokie. Glad you did. :slight_smile:

I will sleep better for knowing. My conscience often works overtime.

3 Likes